Training my dogs to play a little gentler?

Thread: Training my dogs to play a little gentler?

hellosusieqz is offline Member

DefaultTraining my dogs to play a little gentler?

Hey guys, it's been a while! Things have been busy the last year, I'm hoping to become more active again now that I have a routine going! And what better way to start than posting a question? haha

Anyway, I have two labs, one male named Bentley and one female named Romy. They will be 2 years old next month, and they've been together since they were about 7 months old. They absolutely love each other, but I'm really concerned that their play is getting too rough...

Last week, we came home and found a decent sized scab on the tip of Bentley's ear. It definitely looked like it was the product of rough play, and I'm 99% positive that Romy must have accidentally hurt him. She was attached to him the rest of the day, though, and she kept following him and licking his ear, so I brushed it off as an accident from earlier in the day while we were away since she seemed to know what she did.

Today, however, I found another smaller scab on the tip of his other ear. I watch them play often, and from the time they've been together they have always played rough. They grab each other's faces and jump all over the place, and there's growling and lots of noise but they are jumpy and happy and running around and wagging their tails...it's definitely playing.

The only thing I can think of is that Romy recently started grabbing his ears while they play, which really concerns me! I've tried watching them to correct it, but it seems to only happen when we're not around. And honestly, I'm not sure how I would even correct it in the first place.

Does anyone have any ideas or insight?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

boygeorge is offline Member

We only have George at the moment but he usually play with our neighbor's 1.5 year old boxer on their yard. They always play and grab each other and few times they could start fight but we always supervise them. Then we introduced fetching and frisbee which they love to chase resulting to less physical play with them. You may look for a game or toy for them so they would lessen their physical playtime.
    "Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives." ~Sue Murphy

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

don't leave them loose together unsupervised to play all day. there is nothing you can do when you are not there. when you are there you can make them take breaks and redirect inappropriate play