trying to train
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trying to train

Defaulttrying to train

Hi everyone,
    I have a question, I'm not sure if it has already been addressed yet but I will ask anyway. My lab baby is 9 weeks old and we have been working with her on manners(biting, sitting, no jumping ect) this is especially important cuz we have a two year old SON and we are going to train THE DOG for therapy work. Well I have a neighbor who has a 4 month old lab cross, and they have taught her nothing, she is pretty hyper and thinks she is the boss(ok she is ;D) Well they are good friends and we have lots of puppy play dates, however I still try to encourage manners when we are there, and they think its stupid to train a dog like that, they think a dog needs to be a dog, any suggestions on how to handle this without straining a good friendship?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: trying to train

People have very different opinions on what constitutes a well behaved dog...or child I would just explain that you want to do things in the future with your dog that require a good foundation of manners be laid now.

IMO I think you should absolutely teach your puppy manners our Jack is 10 months and we were hiking this past weekend - when we stopped to talk to a
    women I felt GREAT when she said YOUR DOG IS SO WELL BEHAVED AND HAS GREAT MANNERS. he just sat there and let us have a conversation (it was so nice)

We started training early with trying to teach manners because we have alot of niece's and nephews and plan on having our own children one day.

You should tell your friends you want her to have manners and behave so she can become a therapy dog and help people. ;D

You shouldn't worry about what they say everyone has there own option about things you do what you want with your girl.

Good Luck with everything

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think you are right; good manners are soo important. Especially when you want him to be a therapy dog. Try to explain it to your friend and keep the play sessions short and only for playing and train seperate. You will have to agree to disagree on this one. I always had these discussions with other Mums aswell about our kids. You have to follow your own way. I love a dog that can behave properly and the dog will most certainly have a nicer live because it's welcome to come everywhere with you, right?

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

I have this discussion with DH sometimes... he doesn't quite see the point in some of the training exercises I do but once he sees me do it a few times he'll start doing it too. Its just that with a 12lbs dog, you don't notice that she's even jumping or really demanding attention... but when she's bigger it will be hard not to notice!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoCosMom
    Ihe doesn't quite see the point in some of the training exercises
    I suffered from this same thing. It was ego, pure and simple. I encourage you to stay the course, though, for two reasons: 1) Commands are about control. Even STAND (which I thought was the dumbest command on the planet) reminds your dog that you're in control! And 2) You never know. When I stared in obed, it was because we had a monster-brat of a dog who was quickly on his way back to the breeder when SU had her fill of his antics. When it all started to click, he showed some aptitiude for learning and obed. We then got into competition. He likes it. I love it. BUT I had to go back and RE-teach all the things I blew off the first time (like STAND). It took 2x as long, thanks to my short-sightedness. You may THINK at this stage that you'll never get anywhere near an AKC event, but I say, You never know.

My biggest advice to puppy-owners is this: Close no doors.....

I would explain to the neighbor what you want of your dog and what you would prefer they did or didn't do when your dog is around. It's all personal preference if they are a good friend they should obey your wishes. For example our neighbors love dogs and do not mind when Mocha is all wound up and jumps on them. I do not want her jumping so have asked them to please wait to approach her and greet her until she is sitting. They do as I ask because it's my dog. Their dogs jump all the time but are not in public much so it dosn't make as much difference for them.

[Thank you] I really needed the feedback, especially as a new puppy mom, its confusing at first, so many rules and so much to learn. I guess I need confidence in my goals for training and in my puppy to learn..and it shouldn't matter what anyone says. We all went to the park today with kids and dogs and although I let coco play, I was also aware of how she was doing and when to step in and get her to sit..we both did good and I guess that is what matters.

I have even gotten quite a bit here. My problem with Prince is he seems so hyper at times, it is hard to try and get him to concentrate on the training. Any ideas on that. Is there a best time to train?

As a side note, where do you all get the ticker things at?

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by photog1
    Is there a best time to train?
    That's going to vary dog-to-dog, and you'll know best. If you're treat training, you might want to train before feeding to add the extra incentive. Or not, if he SO hungry he goes bonkers!

Same with exercise. If he's too wiggly, you can try a walk first. Unless it tuckers him out.

My routine was usually this: During every walk (at least 2x/day, morning + night), I would snap off his Flexi and ON his training collar/leather 6' leash and incorporate training work INTO the walk. So he'd romp and play and pee and poop and sniff, and then work some, and then play some more, then work some more.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast