stand/stay and ckoke chain question

Thread: stand/stay and ckoke chain question

Defaultstand/stay and ckoke chain question

Tyson started obedience classes this week. This week's lesson was heel and stand/stay. the thing is, i've been working with him on a prong and he knows that when i stop walking he is supposed to sit. the trainer is having us let them stand when we stop and give the stand/stay command and walk around them. but tyson sits almost automatically and he just isnt getting the stand command. is there an easier way to do stand/stay?

Also, the trainer is having us put the choke chain (not prong) low on his neck. Is that the correct position? Tyson barely reacts to the corrections with the choke chain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: stand/stay and ckoke chain question

IMO a moving stand stay is WAY too advanced for a beginning obedience class. I would continue working on a sit at the halt and stand the dog from that position.

Slip chains and prong collars need to be high on the neck, right behind the ears, to be effective.

What are the credentials of this "trainer".

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Yeah, this sounds all bass-ackwards to me, too! That auto-sit is vital for control for dogs just learning obed. Why mix the dog up. I agree that STAND is a good command and should be taught, but we teach it from the SIT, not from walking in heel position!! (Sit the dog in heel, draw the collar FORWARD, Give a "Dog's name - STAND!" Take the left hand and rub under the belly, praising. "Good stand, Nice boy! Lookit that handsome stand!"

And the collar advice you're getting is all wrong, IMHO.

Time to get a refund and find another trainer?????????

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I agree with Dweck and rottonlabs, for a beginner teach stand (which I'm teaching Mocha now too) from a sit by luring them forward and putting your hand under their stomach and praise.

I use a prong with Mocha and the training center I go to reccomends slip chain collars but they are perfectly fine with me using the prong since I know my dog and what works for her. She does not respond at all to a correction from a slip chain. And as said before from experience it works much better if it's high up on the neck behind the ears. Every trainer is very different and some have very strong opinions on what works and what dosn't you have to do what works for your dog. Every dog responds in different ways so find what works for you and stick with it. I'd have a talk with the trainer if you respect him if you are indifferent I'd try to find someone else.

the trainer has been training since the 70s. She runs a kennel and has 3 obedeince courses per year plus is in charge of the AKC obedience competition in our city. she is the only trainer in our city besides Petsmart which is why we went to her.

i think i will try what you guys said and let Tyson continue his sit when we stop and just stand him from there. and the choke chain.... i figured it was positioned wrong, he barely feels the corrections.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Collar is definitely supposed to be high on the neck to be effective. If your instructor insists on you teaching the dog to stand from heeling, teach it as a different command. This is how we teach it for the Open ring. For a command, I use my hand, palm down, above and just in front of the head. Just far enough in front so he can see my hand. I use my foot in his groin area to keep him from sitting. I do feel it's a little too advanced for a dog just learning to sit at heel, but it can be taught. Just be patient and encouraging. Practice both together, one after the other, so he learns that they are different commands. Good luck.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

I think it's a bit too quick. By the way most trainers in New Zealand do NOT use choke chains before 6 months of age. I would rather go for a more positive training like clicker or reward based.