Sleeping through the night... ignore or coddle?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeping through the night... ignore or coddle?

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultSleeping through the night... ignore or coddle?

Per my other post, Ender was at his first day of doggy day care yesterday and when he got home he was POOPED... he could barely wake up enough to go outside to pee before bed. We thought FOR SURE he would sleep through the night. At mom's he was sleeping between 10:30 and 5 most nights, though admitedly, they didn't have him in a bedroom so might not have actually been sleeping the entire time.

At one am he was up... whining/barking. Eric took him out and he peed and pooed. Back in the crate where he proceeded to whine and bark a bit before settling down. Up again at 5:45, peed outside and came back and whined and barked in his crate for a long time. Finally we decided to try him out ON the bed with us and after chewing on a nylabone for a while and was quiet and content. At 7 I fed him and was feeling sick so wanted to go back to bed so again I let him up on the bed with us. He slept soundly until 9 am with me, even with Eric getting up, taking a shower, and leaving for work.

I'm trying to figure out what the deal is with him and the sleeping through the night thing. I don't think he sleeps well in his crate and part of me thinks it is too cold. (Eric and I use heating pads to warm up the bed for us AND still sleep fully clothed (with socks) the whole night). Our bedroom is in the basement... he sleeps just fine upstairs where it is warmer during the evenings when we are home and he is out of his crate.

So... is it possible that it is just too cold for him in that crate and he's waking up because of that? Or should I look for a different cause? I wonder what would happen if he slept on the warm bed with us the whole night (it isn't something we want to do, I'm just wondering if it would be warmer, and therefore he would sleep longer). Or maybe he's testing us and allowing him up on the bed in the late morning has been encouraging it.

So... if he's barking and whining in his crate and I think he should be able to "hold" it, what should I do? Ignore him? Talk to him? Sternly say "quiet"? Put my fingers in the crate and say "quiet down Ender"? (I've tried all of these but none consistently since I've read conflicting things about whether to ignore or coddle them as puppies)

Suggestions would be welcome.
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Sleeping through the night... ignore or coddle?

Your not alone! I've been experiencing the same thing with Rocky (10 weeks). I'll try to tucker him out before bedtime (9:30-10pm), give him a potty break and into the crate. He'll wake up around 3:30am- 4:30am, potty, back in the crate until 5:15am-5:30am. Then he'll wine/cry on and off until 6am. During this wining time, I'll be up several times to try to settle him down. I've tried everything from speaking softly and touching him to getting angry with him > but I don't take him out of his crate. I would like him to sleep until at least 6am-6:30am if possible. I think he's just really hungry because when I ask him if he wants his breakfast and he hears his bowl, he starts bucking like a bronco.

Oh yes... the hunger thing might be another factor. Ender allways eats like he's starved and I'm wondering if maybe it isn't just the "lab" in him. He's 12 weeks (almost 13 weeks old) and weighs 30 lbs. I'm feeding him one cup of Innova large breed puppy per meal, 3 times per day.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Keep in mind that you're living w/a hunting dog!! They are DNA-hardwired to get up with the chickens and go-go-go all day long. If Wesley were to sleep to 6:30AM, I'd be SURE there was something terribly wrong w/him. As soon as the horizon gets light (5:15-5:30 more or less), he declares it TIME TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chance is 10 weeks also. We would play a lot with him right before he went to bed (10:30ish). Then take him out side to let him do his thing and give him a treat to go into is crate. This stopped the winning for us. We were told no matter how bad they whined you can't let him out. You also don't want to say anything or let them see you. I guess if you don't do this he will think it is a game or that he is "winning," so by not letting him out and ignoring him, you are showing you are in control. This has worked wonders for us. The only times he whines is when he needs to go out. We have only had him a week and this method has worked wonders. He actually likes his crate now. Oh we also put something in there for him to chew on. Something big and hard so he can't choke, it gives him something to do.

10 weeks... *If you took your pup from the litter at 6 weeks, thats only 1 month away from the litter. *Your puppy spent more than half his life with his/her brother and sisters. *It could be a cold think, we supply a towel with Allie, or it could be a missing my family thing.

Like a baby, it takes time to get the sleeping thru the night to take affect, Allie even today is ready to play at 8am. *When she was younger she wanted to play at 5:30 and sometimes even earlier.

Continue with the crate training, if you give in to the barking, they will learn that it gains your attention and will be willing to do it longer and louder as time passes. *Shannon and I sleeping patterns were greatly affected for 8 or more weeks. *It seems like that was forever ago, but it was actually last July.

Give your pup something to lay on and cuddle with, try the ticking clock to see if that helps (makes the puppy think they are with mommy and sleep better). *Dont give up or you will be fighting this for a long time. *I know its hard to hear them cry, but do your potty breaks during the night and return them to the crate. *You must be consistant or this will drag out.

Good Luck!

Firstly, I have no problem with the 6 am wake up call... but it's the 1 am that I wish to curtail since he didn't need it before (at my mom's). He's 12 weeks old now, so perhaps I'm expecting too much too soon. I will do the whole "ignore him while he's barking thing" (I just need to get Eric on board with this) and try to make his crate a bit warmer... he can allways push the blankets and stuff to one side if he gets too hot.

When giving him a potty break in the middle of the night... is it best just to ingore him the whole time (other than praising when he's actually going potty)? I sometimes feel that maybe we wake him up too much when we are in the potty break and he's expecting play time or something.

I really shouldn't complain as the past 5 days have been 100 times better than I thought it would be. Eric is doing awesome with being the second parent and Ender has learned to let us know when he needs to go out. Ender is great with meeting new people and new dogs (see doggy day care report card) and is doing pretty good with walking on the leash and learning commands pretty well.
    ~Lindsay

Got this from petplace.com. Just one persons opinion. :-\

What Not to Do with Your New Puppy
    By: Dr. Nicholas Dodman* 1 2* *Next

If a pup cries for attention at night, whether crated or not, provide it this attention, as you would a child. Do NOT ignore its separation cries. You don’t have to pick it up or pet it, just let it know you are there for it and everything’s okay. The less attention you give a pup growing up the more needy it becomes when mature (this accounts for separation anxiety being prevalent in shelter dogs and dogs from abusive backgrounds). Conversely, the more attention you can give a pup as it is growing up, the more independent it will become. It sounds like a paradox, but its true.

I forgot to mention that everynight we would but one of shirts we had on that day and put it in the crate. We thought maybe the scent from us would make him feel comfortable

Yeah see... there is where I get confused. *I suppose though since I'm 2 feet away from him and he surely can smell me and hear me breathe, he knows I'm there.

gaaa... I get so confused when there is conflicting advice!
    ~Lindsay

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast