Oh - One more puppy question

Thread: Oh - One more puppy question

ceset Guest

DefaultOh - One more puppy question

Hi everyone. I forgot about a third question I'm dying to know about -

Cody chews on his metal crate sometimes. When he's inside it and when he's outside it. I haven't been using "leave it" for the crate because it seems like I'd never be able to enforce the command all the time (when he is in the crate it's because I can't watch him) and because I'm currently more concerned with "leave it" regarding the leash, my shoes, the rugs, etc...

But, how bad is it if he chews on his crate? It seems like it would hurt his teeth but so far he loves it. Should I be enforcing "leave it" with regard to the crate? Am I allowing a bad habit to develop?

(he's 10 weeks old today). We've had him for 1.5 weeks.

-chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Oh - One more puppy question

I'm not sure but Koko did this too at the peek of teething I think the cool metal feels good! I look forward to more informed responces.
    Terri

We didn't have this issue with Riley. I am sure someone on the site has. I am sure it is teething more than anything else. I could see where it could get destructive later or hurt his mouth.

Have you tried a frozen kong to maybe keep him busy. I would probably correct when I was present and re-direct with something he could chew on.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Maybe keep heaps of chewtoys around, I have not seen this yet that said our Taz chews on the couch, chair, shells, rocks basically anything he can find so maybe next week he will start on his crate. I am sure he will be allright.

Paula is offline Senior Member

When Lazy, my beagle was a puppy she was in her crate and all of a sudden she was screaming. I ran to the room and she had her snout stuck inbetween the wires. i could barely get her free, then she had a bump on top of her snout. I brought her to the vet the next morning, they didn't x-ray, but said it was possible she may have fractured one of the tiny bones that are right there. But more than likely it was soft tissue damage. I felt so bad, because you think they are safe in the crate then she went and hurt herself in there.
    So I guess the point of my story is to say, I would discourage the biting on the crate wires.

Try to spray the areas he bites with hair spray or bitter apple (hair spray would stick better) Maybe it will help detour this when your away.

Bitter apple works well. Chance is ten weeks old and we just need to show him the bottle and he stops chewing. Also if the bitter apple isn't around having a lot of chew toys is very helpful. Anytime Chance would start chewing something he shouldn't and didn't have the bitter apple around, we would say "no bit chance" and put a chew toy in his mouth. This seems to be working for us.