New Puppy Questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Puppy Questions

ceset Guest

DefaultNew Puppy Questions

Hi everyone. My husband and I just brought home our 8 wk old yellow lab puppy (Cody) on March 25th. He just turned 10 weeks old today. We're first time puppy owners and I have a ton of questions - here are my top 2 at the moment:

1 - Cody got his first shot from the breeder at exactly 8 weeks. Our vet said that because Cody had gotten his first round shot fairly late he only needs two more at 12 weeks and 16 weeks.* From my reading I thought they generally got 4 rounds of shots (6, 9, 12, 16). I'm kind of bummed because I wanted to start him in a puppy-k class at 10 weeks but he needs to have two rounds of shots before entering.* If our vet right about only needing 3 and not getting shot # 2 until 12 weeks?

2- Also, bizzare as this may seem, Cody sounds like he has the hiccups quite often after eating/drinking (I can hear them and feel them in his chest/stomach) - is this normal for a puppy?

Thanks!
    Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New Puppy Questions

I'm also curious about #2 since Ender has been getting the hiccups fairly regularly... even in the morning before he's eaten/drank anything. Congrats on your new puppy!!! I hope we can see pictures of him soon!
    ~Lindsay

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

I have no idea about the shots but for #2 with the hiccups, I spoke to my vet about that when we first got Koko (she was about 9 weeks) and the vet told me not to worry all the internal connections are not finished yet. I asked again 2 weeks ago (a week shy of 5 months) and she said it's ok nothing to worry about. The reason I asked again is now Koko only gets them when something upsets her (we think) If hubby or I yell at kids or god forbid someone yells at her we have 20 minutes of hiccups!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ChewyCharlie Guest

Congrats on your new puppy.

The hiccups are definately very common for puppies, we asked the vet because we were concerened aboout it...lol, she told us that they were indeed very normal and would eventually disappear.

Charlie is six months old and he still gets them, its because puppies take in alot of air and their diaphram gets out of synch with the brain..haha.

with regards to the shots, around here there are 3 total shots, 1 around 5-7 weeks, 1 at 11 weeks, 1 at 15 weeks, of course there is room to adjust

our breeder told us that some places give a 4th shot, but he strongly discouraged it, I wish I could remember the name...

Keep in mind its different where you live for some medicine, here in Alberta they dont give Labs heart worm medicine, where as other parts of North America you have to.

Hiccups are normal, our dog gets them everyday

You may be able to have a few shots early or seperate a single round into two rounds, I guess it depends on the needs of the trainer. I would check to see exactly which shots they are expecting.

Hiccups...Super common, Allie would get them to the point we thought she might get sick. As puppies they hiccup really hard, and ANYTHING can set it off. and could last up to an hour. They grow out of the hiccup stage around 4-5 months.

Trainers are telling me to make sure my pup gets bela gorda??or gord bella? It's supposed to prevent kennel cough.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I think it's bortella or bordella.
    ~Lindsay

Based on the new protocol puppies should get their first shot at 8 weeks. This is a helpful link:http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/dodds-vaccines.html

I would explain to your trainer that your pup is indeed up to date and on the vaccine schedule that your vet recommends. I can't see why they wouldn't let you enroll in the class. If, however, the class is in a park, vet, or pet store, I'd pass until your pup is finished with the puppy series.

Bordetella is going to be required for most classes you take. It does prevent some strains of kennel cough but not all and it's very common for dogs to get KC eventhough they've had the vaccine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast