Fighting the leash

Thread: Fighting the leash

DefaultFighting the leash

Rocky is now 10 weeks old and will walk fine sometimes on the leash but other times will bite and fight the leash like it's his worst enemy. I'm talking rolling around and tugging and pulling. Is persistence the solution or should I be doing something different. I use a six foot nylon lead and shorten it up when training to walk to heel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Fighting the leash

He's playing with it. Perfectly normal. But you can use this behavior to start to teach LEAVE IT. Be gente, though, and set your expectations appropriately -- at 10 wks, he's got the attention span of a butterfly......

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree with dweck. Fighting the leash is common puppy behavior.

Try a chain lead. They hate the feel of the metal against their teeth and tend to avoid biting it. Also, do as dweck said and teach 'LEAVE IT'.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Try a chain lead. They hate the feel of the metal against their teeth and tend to avoid biting it. Also, do as dweck said and teach 'LEAVE IT'.
    egads, no! they could get a tooth caught and ripped out. never mind how hard they are on your own hands.

it the pup just will not leave the leash alone, you can spray the area where they latch onto it with bitter apple. just be careful not to touch it yourself.

i leash break my pups in about 5 minutes with a clicker (or voice). try to walk the pup. when it takes a step its *click* YES! and you give a treat. when it fights and imitates a bucking bronco you do nothing. ignore the behavior and let the pup throw its hissy fit. the minute its done, you take another step and encourage the pup to follow you. when it does, its *click* YES! and give a treat. within 5 minutes the pups gets the idea and quits fighting.

remember to the pup is very young and basically has no attention span. short short time on the lead and very short training sessions. short like 4-5 minutes long. you can use cheerios as treats since they're cheap and don't add calories.

Laura

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Chain leads are also godawful for teaching obed later (when the pup gets older). The corrections 'go' nowhere....

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Well, it worked for me. Just a suggestion. :