Nora - 7 months and STILL Bites!

Thread: Nora - 7 months and STILL Bites!

DefaultNora - 7 months and STILL Bites!

I am loseing it and so is my husband. Nora is still biting at 7 months old!!! ??? I have no idea what to do about it. I have put her in her crate, she has been put in a down for a time out, we used to grab her muzle and yell out "ouch, no bite"... she has been put outside, nothing helps. We do these things for a few weeks straight to see if anything we do to stop the behavior works. Eventually it becomes a game for her and we have to move on to another idea.

I have not been able to get on here, so I didn't have any one to ask. She dosen't start obediance training for another week. Of course I will have a list of "issues" by the time we get going to class.

Give me an idea of what to do.. again it becomes a game to her when she gets corrected. I'm losing my temper with her and its not good! My husband said yesterday that if she bites our 3 year old one more time she goes outside! Now obviously that isn't going to happen, but it makes me realize that something seriously needs to be done.

** For those that remember me... Nora still gets on the furniture, she is back to being a brat. The NILIF ideas have worked really well on getting her to calm down and rest when we need her to settle. She has now decided that after she goes through "sit-ups" or shake, or any of the other things I do with her to get her her food, she now will run around the house as if she's still starving to death and beg everyone for more food. It's a bit irritating, but funny! She will now leave Lady alone when we tell her "Nora, watch me! (you have to get her attention first) Nora, no visit!" She will actually walk away now. (she'll go back after about 10 mins, but hey.... she listens!) She still steals my daughters toys and shoes. I took her toys away from her and now only give them to her when she sits in her "spot". We play for a while and then she'll go lay down and shew her toys up.

We seriously need for training to start! This dog is making me nuts! I will have to go back through and re-read all the papers I printed out on NILIF again. Maybe I'm missing the next step? Or need to reinforce a few things again. Maybe she needs a reminder.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Nora - 7 months and STILL Bites!

Sounds like u need a proffestional to help sort things out.

How much exercise is she getting?? It sounds as though she's begging for any attention.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

It does sound like she needs more exercise. A little walk around the block is not going to cut it. Do you have a fenced yard, or access to a dog park? What about another dog to play with (nothing tires 'em out quite like this)? It sounds like she needs a full body workout ;D to burn off some excess energy. And she may need that a couple of times a day.

I don't believe you should have any kind of biting at this stage of the game. Those days were over around 5 - 5 1/2 months of age for us. I think you need to firmly establish who is boss. If she is still getting on your furniture & acting that bratty, then I don't think it's sunk in yet

It really sounds like she needs more exercise. A tired lab is a happy lab. Have you tried the biter apple spray on the hands? They don't usually like the taste. When she bites you, the ouch is good and maybe teach a command for kisses or nice.

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I think you have several things going on. She is right at the beginning of her teenage years so she will be testing you constantly. I don't think you have adequately established yourself as the Alpha so she gets away with things. Putting her outside because she is being mouthy will help you, but she probably doesn't have a clue why she is outside.

I suggest next time she bites you that you take your thumb and hold her tongue down long enough to get a gag reaction. Make it extremely unpleasant telling her "no bite" and mean it.

Obedience class is a great idea and I do think both of you will get a lot out of it. It always helps to have someone to show you how to work with your dog. Hang in there, it does get better but it is a lot of work.

Oh, and I agree with the others - sounds like more exercise is in order.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

I do agree that she needs more exersize. We do have another dog in the house, but the only time she wants anything at all to do with Nora is when she's in heat (she's my husbands dog and he never got her fixed.. she's now 12 years old) and thats not for more than about 5 seconds. She is, as far as she is concerned, the head of this house... EVERYTHING goes Ladies way! And even my husband lets her do what she wants, totally against my wishes!

We have a vet appointment for my sister and her babies (she has 2 rescue rats).

Ok, sorry... I had to run out the door..... (vet appointment went well for those that wondered.)

Any ways, as I was saying..... Lady runs this house, or so she thinks, and will not give one inch. I need to find Nora a puppy park to play at, or something like that. Or get her out here to the playground, or go for more walks.... something!!!

I am going to try to find all my paperwork again... amybe I need to re-read the info on NILIF.... maybe I've let something slide from my everyday rutine and I didn't realize it.