pup eats too fast and other things

Thread: pup eats too fast and other things

Defaultpup eats too fast and other things

Febie is now 9 months old She eats her food way way to fast though and we are worried that she is going to end up hurting her stomach.

We have tried stopping her while she's eating to get her to slow, we have tried flipping the bowl over so that she has to eat food from around the ring and can't get as much in her mouth, which worked for bout 3 days then she figured it out and was back to old habits. We don't have extra $ to try a slow feed bowl right now, which has already been suggested to us, some one else also suggested that she is doing it because she is not getting the nutrients she needs and we should take her to the vet for blood work and change her food, no extra $ for that either, plus she

I really do not want to change food as this brand is the only one we have tried that doesn't give either one of them the runs, or constipation, or has made them gain extra weight, etc.

She has also started eating poop while out in the yard, we have been supervising her outside but she has got sneaky about it, and it is not even her own it is our other dogs poop that she is eating. I have done some research in to it and again I do not thing she is lacking in any nutrients.

her coat is shiny full and healthy

she is full of energy and happy

she is mentally alert

Any suggestions will be welcome! Please help me out, she's my baby, I love her and don't want her to get sick from either of these things.
    Jackson (3 years old) and Febie (b. March 27,2013)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Stick with the food that works and feed her her meals by hand until you can afford a slow bowl.

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

My dog's like that so I bought 3 kongs and I would fill them with her food, she eats so much slower now. Don't know if that'd be worth a try for u.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

how much are you feeding her daily?

You can use a muffin tin, put the food in each tin. there are some VERY cheap slow feed bowls though. I know some are pricey but there are some decent ones at Pet Valu and such that are pretty darn cheap.

Labs eat like they haven't eaten in months. pretty typical. doesn't mean they are missing anything. Same with poop eating. you need to make sure to clean it all up as the dogs go. I have a poop eater, he's 9!! But perfectly healthy - they are just very yummy treats to him.

This is one of the slow down bowls I have, it works just fine (preferably on carpet) and only $11: JW Skid Stop Slow Feed Bowl | Canada

nicole is offline Senior Member

Labs eat fast. Is she actually having issues eating the speed she'd like? Gagging, throwing up, etc? If not, leave her be. I personally add water to each meal (think cereal), which slows them down a little and aids in digestion, but honestly that's just how most labs eat.

thanks for the advice folks.
    Jackson (3 years old) and Febie (b. March 27,2013)

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

I added water to Cinder's food. It worked for her. She still ate fast, just less fast. Lol.

Penny&Me is offline Member

A slow feed or 'gulp' bowl is ideal for fast eaters, however you don't have to spend money on one. Just put a couple of tennis balls in the bowl and this acts the same way! Unless of course she learns to take them out! Lol

Do you have another dog? Fast eating is normally seen when there is competition for food so shut the dogs in seperate rooms to feed them and make sure both bowls are picked up before letting the dogs back in together.

I would highly suggest a vet visit as soon as you are able just to rule anything out. The faeces eating can be a sign of being deficient in something and even though you say you think she isn't, you won't really know unless you get her checked out. It could also just be a learned behaviour - some dogs just do it and you won't know why. Maybe they like the taste (ewww). Make sure any dog faeces is picked up as soon as it happens so it's not there for her to munch on. There are also several things you can add to dogs diets to make their poo less appealing to others - things such as crab apple drops, pineapple chunks. Just make sure to give it to all dogs in the household!