Have I created a monster???

Thread: Have I created a monster???

DefaultHave I created a monster???

As some of you know my girl Tilley, 20 weeks, has an inverted vulva and has had a bout with UTI'S that has made house training a little rocky. We had great succes early and then the UTI and things have moved in the other direction. Here's my issue. Tilley has enjoyed her crate and spends time there during the day when we can't watch her or hear her. Otherwise she has the run of the kitchen during most family time and the den when the older kids and my wife and I are all together . During the height of the UTI we would take her out every 15 minutes and she would bark and get a little restless as a signal. At night, we pulled her water bowl around 7 and took her out 4 or 5 times before 11. If she needed to go out she would bark and we would get up and take her out for fear she would urinate in her kennel. I was sure to always divert her attention from the barking before letting her out. That seemed like a humane and loving thing to do however now she barks and whines when she wants to go out for just about everything and it is getting pretty old at 12, 2, 4, 5AM. She will always use the bathroom when we go, but sometimes just a tiny bit. If she's dead tired she can hold her bladder for 5 plus hours.
    I thought I was doing this responsibly but she has gone off the deep end and if we leave her out she is still apt to have an accident. We mop the floor after each accident to remove the smell but she is having one or two every couple of days.
    Other than that she is doing very well, not biting much at all and getting a lot of exercise. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. One of these days I'll figure out how to post her picture so you guys can see my little knucklehead.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Have I created a monster???

Have the UTI's cleared up?

You must be so tired! We're still getting up once-twice a night with CoCo (because she is so little I think her bladder isn't big enough to hold it all night yet), and I am getting very tired of it! Good training for future babies I guess!

Anyhow, I wonder if you could live through ignoring the barking if she would eventually settle down and not have an accident in her crate? Start gradually.... take her out 3 times a night for a few days, then reduce to twice a night... etc.... Sounds like a few nights of the pain might make it worth the rest you gain in the long run.
    ~Jo & CoCo

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

1) Make sure the UTI is 100% gone
    2) Use the crate to get her back on schedule

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Have the UTI's cleared up?

She is on her last day or two of a two week anti-biotic. You are right, good practice for babies, however that ship has returned to port. 3 beautiful kids (8,6 &1). This does remind me a little of my daughter (6) and her ear infections.

Use the crate to get her back on schedule. (after confirmation of UTI clearing)

Let her bark it out at night as we did when she first came home?

Hi there,

I would make sure your pup is allright and then go straight back to the beginning. When we got Taz home @7.5 weeks we started out going 3 times a night. Then we received a phone call from the breeder 3 days later and she said the following.
    - Make sure he does #1 and #2 around 11pm
    - Put him in his crate with a blanket and thick layer of paper in the front
    - Put a blanket over the crate so it's nice and dark
    - Turn the radio on softly
    and leave...untill appr. 5 am

It worked wonders for us. Taz now sleeps untill between 6 and 7 am and we are feeling normal again. I can highly recommend it, but first maybe take him to the vet to make sure he is fine again before you start this.