Crate traning tips.......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate traning tips.......

DefaultCrate traning tips.......

Just interested on how you guys did the crate training.....I fell I leave Chance in there to much. I was told until they are house broken to leave them in there crate as much as possible allowing them to never roam the house until trained.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crate traning tips.......

How much do you leave him in there?
    ~Lindsay

While i'm at work he is in there from 7:00-4:00 unless i break-away and come (which i have been doing alot). I was told when you are home to only let him out of his crate when he needs to eat, go out side or to play. Then he goes in there around 9 or 10 everynight.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Hmm... that seems like a lot of time. I think I posted in your other thread what we are doing with Ender which seems to be working pretty well. If I were you, and I couldn't supervise him all the time when you are home, is baby gate him in an area big enough for him to play in.

Thankfully... Ender has two sets of eyes to keep a watch on him so he's doing pretty well with free roaming in the house. Just make sure that wherever you are are at home that he can be in the same area as you. Labs love people...
    ~Lindsay

How old is chance?

We used a x-pen and put his crate in there with the door open, with a litter pan and some paper till he was house broken. Then took away the paper and pan leaving him with the x-pen and crate (door open) till he jumped out on me and now he goes in crate like a dream for me door closed all day.
    We are also gone about 7 hours a day working.

When we were home he was always out of his crate with us I felt like that was our time together - *but the door was always open on his crate so he could go and nap in there or just hangout in there whenever he wanted to.

We go for our last potty break at around 10 and back in the crate around 10:30 when we go to sleep and we are up at around 6:00/6:30

Just make sure when he is out you can see him all the time so he doesn't get into anything you don't want him to

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

Koko is in the crate when we are not home (I'm a full time slave to my hubby, kids and now Koko :) and at night, she can go in and nap whenever she wants (thats where she is now) When she was younger (from 8 weeks to about 14 weeks) When ever she was out she was attached to my or hubbys belt with a long leash. That way we learned her signals for potty and she learned the routine of the house. It worked for me the only problem was at this point we don't allow Koko upstairs so I would try to only do chores up there when she was napping. Now if I go up she just sits at the bottom of the stairs and "sings" (it's really moaning).

That leash idea seems like a good idea. Did it take long for her to get used to that??? Anyone esle try this???

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

she seems to get it really fast (about a day) she loved being with me!

Personally, I believe if you want a puppy that behaves in the house you need to have him out of his crate as much as possible. 9 hours straight is too much time in a crate. It's great that you've been able to give him a break during that time and hopefully that will continue. If your home, I think he should be out of his crate. If you can't keep a close eye on him, tether him to you with a leash as suggested above.

How old is your puppy?

He just turned 10 weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast