Traveling

Thread: Traveling

DefaultTraveling

New questions have come up over the weekend.

First of all, Gabby is not very happy in the car when we take her out. She cries quite a bit until we get to her destination (park for walking, visiting grandma/grandpa). Is this normal for her? She's only 8 weeks and I'm just used to seeing dogs so happy traveling in cars and sticking their heads out the window. Or will she just adjust eventually.

I'm also worried about taking her to dog parks (not taking her there yet though, she might be too young and we want to wait for her next set of shots). She's just so jumpy and when she meets another dog she just wants to jump on it. Is there a flea problem in those parks?

We're trying to control her when we go for our walks, she wants to go on her own but we pull her to stay with us. I am guessing we want to show her that it is us trying to walk her not the other way around...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Traveling

Pretty normal for a young puppy...she'll learn to "enjoy" the car once she makes the connection of car=going somewhere fun I would however wait to bring her to places other dogs have been (parks, pet stores, etc...) until she's completed her puppy shots (~16wks).

Hi your puppy is adorabe !!! ;D

When Jack was that young ( he will be 10 months tomorrow ) he would cry the entire why to wherever we were going - our vet said to try to feed him some food in the car ( it helps with whining and he has never gotten car sick)

Now he still whines once in a while but i think he is just excited and knows we are going to do something fun. ( we now started crating him in the back of my suburban becuase he would try to sit in my lap in the car )

I think the jumping on other dogs is her trying to get them to play.

I was VERY worried about the dog park but we went VERY early on a saturday morning and when the park started to get to crowded for me we left (we stayed about 2 hours and Jack loved it there were NO fights and everyone got along great )

Good Luck

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Doggie parks are alot of fun. Like making sure your dog is vaccinated, making sure they are flea protected is a good measure. There's dogs there, so I'd expect some fleas.

My girls would whine in the car. But now at 8 months old as soon as they hear the car door open they are ready for a ride. I'm sure this stage will pass in your pup also. She sure is cute!

Allie would whine in the car a lot as a young pup, now that she is older the whine is more of "I wanna play, please hurry!"* Allie knows that each time she gets in the car, its somewhere fun for her, so she whines to get there.* Its a very faint whine and stops within 5 mins, but the puppy whine was the entire trip.* Take a few really long rides where she has to quit at some point, she will begin to like the car rides.* We open a car door and she bolts inside and refuses to get out, its pretty funny.* Below are some pics of her.

Allie clearly has no idea that she is canine in nature.

Our Tasman started whining the first coupe of times, he is only 9.5 weeks but is already a lot more comfortable. The whining is only for like 5 min and after that he relaxes. I try to ignore it, turn the radio on softly.

That is such an adorable picture of your puppy!

Thank You...every since I last posted this, Gabby has already calmed down a bit...she still whines a little bit, but at least it is not the entire trip. Now I just have to work on her biting. And Thank you Kluane, I will take more pictures very soon.