Can't get my lab to listen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get my lab to listen

divinekay is offline Junior Member

DefaultCan't get my lab to listen

Okay all...I have a 13 month old male lab - Ace - We went to puppy school and that went pretty good. In the house he listens almost 98% percent of the time, he sits, speaks, lays down, come, no, leave it, and most other commands. When he goes outside I can't get him to come in or come to me at all. When I am in a hurry (home for lunch) etc. I take him out on a leash and all he does is bites at the leash and won't do his business. For the most part my husband he listens to when he lets him outside but many times my husband isn't around to get him inside for me. He is a sweet dog inside but outside he seems like a different dog. He wont play fetch outside, he has chewed the solar lights and the sprinkler electrical cord but inside he doesnt chew on anything, no shoes or furniture or anything. I have tried treats, toys, the touch method, screaming and falling and it all works inside but once he is out he doesn't listen at all to come in. Any suggestions would be great. He is very picky when it comes to treats so even the ones he really likes he doesn't come in.

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Archie is offline Senior Member

Dogs don't generalize, so just because he knows the rules inside, he won't know that the same rules apply outside. Practice is key. Take him lots of different places and practice good behaviour.

Also, sounds like continuing with obedience training is a good idea. My Archie is 7 months and has done puppy, level 1, and is now in level 2 as well as a manners course. Continuing education and practice is really important.

Good luck!

bett is offline Senior Member

i think you need to take a class with him.
    and if he's eating stuff outside, he's bored and shouldn't be left outside by himself as he will get into trouble.

also, sounds like when you are in a hurry , he just wants some attention, probably from being alone.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

My guy was pretty much like that when I rescued him. He was about 14 months old. Took me about a year of consistent daily training to get him to be 99%. I always get compliments now on his behavior outside. He's primarily off-leash as well, unless not safe.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

training in the house is step one. once the dog knows a command in a quiet environment (your home) with no distractions, the NEXT step is to add distraction, distance and duration (but only ONE of those at a time). Each time you add that you need to assume the dog will not be 100% as you have changed something important.

I am the only one that has taken a class with him and got him to mind and do all those commands inside...I can go outside with him but he doesn't want to play he runs away...won't let me get close...he isn't alone I have been home with him the last couple months and I let him out for a few hours and then when it is time to come in he won't...that is when I am in a hurry...thanks

Thank you all for your input looking more for suggestions rather than dragging him to puppy school which he does well with when we are home are the issues...so I it isn't in our setting he will listen...

Eresh is offline Senior Member

He sounds just like my Luci. The only thing that gets her to come running in a hurry is the sound of me putting something in the kong. She gets better when I work her every day in the back yard with her training collar and leash and we practice 'leave it' and recalls (as well as the usual heel, sit, down, stay, etc.) She gets plenty of physical exercise but needs the mental stimulation as well. If I slack off even for a day, it's right back to square one. I keep telling myself part of it is teenager boredom and that eventually with consistent practice she'll get it. I hope. She's 13 months too.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

take him ON LEASH to difference places for training. don't leave him off leash to try a command. slowly add distractions. a good obedience class will go over this in detail with you. when you do go outside, with the dog on leash, to a new place, make sure you are in TRAINING mode with yummy treats and patience.

you have to TRAIN HIM in different situations - and during training you need to keep him nearby (leash) and train in baby steps. letting him off leash is not training him. you have zero control.

Archie is offline Senior Member

A good training class WILL help, but if you're looking for other options, the main one is practice.

Try not to wait til you're in a hurry to address the problem. Go out when you have lots of time and simulate the situations that are causing a problem, and practice getting the behaviour that you want with a pocketful of treats as rewards.

There is really nothing that will instantly fix this for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast