A couple more questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple more questions

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultA couple more questions

I know that our lovely breed thrives in colder weather/temperatures... but I'm wondering if the place where Ender's crate is might be too cold.

Our master bedroom is in the "basement" and his crate is next to our bed. He has some padding in there but otherwise nothing to keep him warm. Our bedroom is probably some where around 65 degrees at night... I'm not completely sure but I sleep fully clothed, which is a first in my life.

Is it possible that it is too cold for him? And if so... should I put blankes in the crate with him?

Ender hacks once in a while. No pattern.... not a lot... it's just all of a sudden he hacks a bit like a cat with a furball. Should I be concerned?
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A couple more questions

Can't help you with the hacking but if I were you I would cover 3 sides of the crate with a blanket, When we did this Koko started to sleep longer and wasn't making so much tossing and turning noise at night. She also has an old bedspread folded in her crate (easier to wash than a dog bed for now)
    Post more Ender pic's when you can, he is such a beautiful boy!
    Terri

We cover Jack's crate with a blanket (I used the blanket from the back of the couch so it smells like us ) he only sleeps with the crate covered and he we have a nice bed in there for him. ( they say it is like a den for them)

Maybe try covering his crate and give him a blanket inside.

I don't know much about the hacking maybe call your vet and see what they say if it will make you feel better.

I do know that Jack will sometimes hack like that but there's nothing wrong with him sounds like our cat with a furball just like you said.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Oh... I should have clarified something... his crate is the plastic Vari-kennel kind and I'm concerned that air needs to ventilate through for him. But perhaps a light blanket would be good.
    ~Lindsay

oh maybe put the blanket inside with him so he can crawl up into it.

We have the black metal crates for Jack.

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Lindsay, our bedroom is also colder than the rest of the house (DH hasn't fixed the thermistat because he likes to sleep with fleece sheets... a duvet... AND a quilt on the bed! : )

We also have the plastic type of travel cratel for CoCo's "puppy crate". We just bought a cheap fleece throw and put it in her crate. We don't put anything on the crate itself.

I'm sure Ender wouldn't be cold if he has a blanket to snuggle into. If anything, I worry about CoCo being warm, because sometimes if she's napping in her crate (in the living room) she'll crawl out and go back to sleep on the cooler hardwood floors. She can't do that when I keep the crate door closed at night!

~Jo & CoCo

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

We also have a thick metal crate and we have a dog bed inside. Our house is 65 degrees with a fan blowing in the bedroom. (We like it cold and noisy) We always had it covered until last week.... she pulled part of the blanket in and ate it. We had to do metamucil with a turkey baster to get that passed and she was one sick little girl. I wouldn't cover now on a bet. She never did it for four months and all of a sudden we wake up with part of the blanket in the crate eaten. I think as long as air is not blowing he's probably fine. I'm not familiar with your kind of crate. Bailey hacks like a fur ball every once in a while too, but it's nothing. Of course, I don't know about Ender. You may want to ask your vet if he does it a lot.

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

If your house is 65 degrees at night I would think Ender is fine. We don't live in really cold climate, but it does get down to the 40s in the heart of winter and we never run our heat. Moose sleeps on our bed and Sky sleeps in a veri-kennel as well and she is fine. If anything, several times in the summer I have actually taken a wet towel to cool her off because they get warm if they don't get enough ventilation. Hopefully by this summer she will be ready to sleep out of the crate. She still tends to get way too excited about the cats no matter what time it is.

When Moose used to sleep in his crate he had the wire kind and we put a bed at the bottom. He started digging it out of the way so he could just sleep on the plastic crate. It now sits on top of the crate and the cats sleep on it.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

I would watch putting anything extra in the crate until he is housebroken. We added a blanket with Riley and found that she wet that. Once she was housebroken we added her blanket back in. Of course, she spends her time shredding it every once in awhile.

We have a metal crate with a divider for Toby. We have it covered with a fleece blanket for him. He sleeps better. We have a tri-level house and we turn the heat down to 65 at night. His kennel is in the living room, which is half under ground. We have a baby blanket and one of my DH old flannel jackets, buttons taken off of course. He loves it. Doesn't seem too cold. 65 should be warm enough for our climate here in WI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast