New owner with a million questions!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New owner with a million questions!!!

DefaultNew owner with a million questions!!!

Hey everyone!!! Just got my yellow lab Chance a week ago who just turned 10 weeks today. HE IS A HAND FULL!!!! Since we got him he has got a lot better about going outside which I am pretty surprised by but, when it comes to trying to teach him other things, he just doesn't seem to get it. After reading some post off this site i feel my pup is kinda behind in learning the basic commands. In two weeks he is going to start "Puppy I" training. Does anyone think he is a little behind??? I have tried to teach him stuff but he is so hyper and all he wants to do is bit and chew everything. Hyper, chewing and "talking back" at you, normal for a 10 week old pup??? I have been using that Bitter Apple spray for the bitting and it has seemed to work a little over the first week with him. Anyone else use Bitter Apple????
    Before I start writing a novel about all the questions i have, there is one more thing. I feel with all the "No bite" "No Chance this" and "No Chance that," that I am making him be less of a loving dog......I know he is a puppy and very hyper, but I would like him to be more of a cuddling and loving dog. Any comments, tips or help will be great!!! If you don't get time to respond to this one, i promise i will have many more post

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: New owner with a million questions!!!

Ok so my puppy is 13 weeks now and honestly I feel that all the training I have done with her is finally clicking now--she listens better, recongizes the commands and does them USUALLY when there atren't many interruptions. SO I wouldn't worry too much I think it will all click. You just need to give it time and be very repetitive I am talking like repetitive within minutes--they are so ADD. You'll see her mental abilities increase real fast. I have had mine for just over a month and I used the bell on the door thing for potty training--I rang that bell every single time before we went outside for the entire month and finally as of this week she has caught on and uses it now.

I have a great book you should read that talks about their leanring stages and yours is still only in the pre-k informal stage. The book is Family Dog by Richard Wolters. Also barkbytes.com is a good resource for some basic trianing commands.

Yes I have used the bitter apple--I don't think it works that well --only temporarily--I think shoving other toys in their mouth is better since they always seem to need somthing to chew on.

ALso mine goes through cuddle and "Cujo" phases as I call them throughout the day. Right now she is totally being Cujo but she will be ready to cuddle soon. It's in their nature-

I still have tons of questions too as we go so share anything that you find works!! Good luck.

Are you crate training?

Chance is not behind and is very normal!!! * Puppies will be puppies! Biting and a lot of it is a lab thing and it will probably get worse before better...but it will get better.* You do need to be consistent with the correction & NO BITE...even "yelp" when he bites you then have something handy to put in his mouth.* I never used the Bitter Apple, but did resort to a regular squit bottle.

He also needs lots of play time to wear him out.* You can try playing with him to get him abit tired before working on basic commands...also if he "sits" without you telling him...still praise him with"good sit"....Puppy school will help to not only train Chance but also you!!* I can't believe the things I was doing that were "wrong"....also try "off"..."Leave it" and of course the "NO bite".

Lab are very intelligent, loyal and loving dogs and this is a wonderful place to have your questions answered. Don't be afraid to ask because there is a wealth of knowledge in this forum.

Good luck and I can't wait to see picutes!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

Your puppy is normal!!! Puppy K will really help you both, but probably you more. You will be training too ;D

Puppies, lab puppies, bite :'( We used the Bitter Apple, and it does wear out pretty fast. We found it worked best on objects, like furniture and carpets etc. that she was chewing more so than our hands. We just wore long sleeves (luckily it was winter) and said "No Bite." You'll be saying that a lot. Just pick the words you're going to use along with no, rather than a generic no. No jump, no bite, no dig, et cetera. You'll feel like you're saying it alot, again, but that's just what you'll have to do. When they're tired or first get up, seems like they're more cuddley. Bailey can be very hyper, too. My DH always said, isn't she sweet when she's like this. That's when she's just cuddled up to him, sitting on him, or leaning on him. Other times, she can be a terror!!!

It's just a stage. Just enjoy them all because they sure do get big fast. We're already thinking about a little sister, and I'm dreading the biting again

Good luck!! Great advice here. I will say, too, that when they get especially mouthy he'll probably have to poop, be hungry, or sleepy, like a two-year-old that needs a nap. Other than that they can be distracted so easily with toys.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

A lover not a biter...

We are teaching Ender "kisses" and he's caught on very fast. When he licks our hands or face we say "Good kisses.. Good kisses Ender" in a sing song voice. When he bites we "yelp" and say no bite and just ignore him. This has worked wonders and no he really only bites us on accident (when he's aiming for the toy) or when he's gotten too excited.
    ~Lindsay

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

You're very lucky, Lindsey, that he only bites on accident. That's a dream dog

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baileys mama
    You're very lucky, Lindsey, that he only bites on accident. That's a dream dog
    I'm not counting on it lasting... and I'm dreading the "teenager" phase.

Truthfully... I think it has a lot to do with staying with his two litter mates longer and being with Apollo for 2 weeks. I mean... that's a GREAT benefit to an otherwise "imperfect" situation.
    ~Lindsay

Gabby is 10 weeks old now and slowly improving. She still bites quite a bit and hurts like crazy. But what I do is I say "ouch" really loud and just put a sad face and try to walk away. Gabby gets it that she hurts me and calms down and actually lays and gives that puppy look. She will then pick up another toy (unless I give her one myself to chew instead of me) and begin playing again. We do this cycle over and over again until I hope she finally gets it to "no bite". She will start puppy classes this Thursday and I can't wait.
    I don't think your puppy is behind, you just have to give him time to your new home. Eventually he will catch on to everything you teach him.

I have a great book you should read that talks about their leanring stages and yours is still only in the pre-k informal stage.* The book is Family Dog by Richard Wolters.* Also barkbytes.com is a good resource for some basic trianing commands.*

Yes I have used the bitter apple--I don't think it works that well --only temporarily--I think shoving other toys in their mouth is better since they always seem to need somthing to chew on.*

ALso mine goes through cuddle and "Cujo" phases as I call them throughout the day.* Right now she is totally being Cujo but she will be ready to cuddle soon.* *It's in their nature-

I still have tons of questions too as we go so share anything that you find works!! Good luck.

Are you crate training?*
    Yeah i am crate training him.....its hard for me to keep him in there like they tell you to. Are you crate training??? If you are how are you doing it??? Does your pup bark a lot when you first put him in his crate???

Thanks for all the replies guys!!! I will have some pics up in a few days!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast