3. You may not vote on this poll
  • training

1 33.33%
  • commands

2 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Commands

DefaultTraining Commands

Hello--I am a new lab owner--I have a 3 month old chocolate and have had her for a month now--we have worked on sit, stay, come, lay down, down, outside, and off which are going well. *

I was wondering what are some other commands you have found useful with your labs? *More ideas please, also I need help on working with heel. *We aren't very good with that one yet. *So how do you reccommend teaching heel. *I have tried the slap on the leg but I feel like I am not doing something right. *

Oh yes and any ideas on helping with the barking (when I prepare her food, and when she is left alone for even very short periods). *I have done quiet with my hand around her mouth but she doesn't really stop. *How does the speak command work? *

I would love any tips or suggestions! *Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Training Commands

All good commands you are using. We find "wait" especially good for anything like going through the doors or putting something in front of her, or getting a treat, etc. Also back up is good for numerous things, too. Say you're emtying the dishwasher or getting something out of the refrigerator and they crowd up. It's very useful and easy to learn.

We're still learning heel, ourselves, but we have a start command "stand" and that's right down at the leg you want them to be by. Then when you start off, start off with that leg and say whatever "let's go" etc. When they pull ahead, just stop still. They probably will tug a little and then say your command (and point to the spot, too, while they're learning) and have a treat ready while you're training. It doesn't have to be much, just a bit, but that is very motivational if your puppy is food oriented.

Also the recall command, come, can't be emphasized enough. That should be the main one at this stage. Always have something extra special when you do it and they'll want to come and get it every time. Our trainer was very impressed with Bailey's recall, but I'll say my DH and I worked on it ALL THE TIME!! We still do. Good good treats or at least a jackpot fully of whatever you usually give.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

"MOVE" (ala Saturday Night Live computer tech support guy) which means... get out of my way... or move to some other spot... ;D
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

WATCH ME. OFF. LEAVE-IT. SETTLE. NO BARK. NO VISIT. GET-IT. DROP-IT. SLOW. FAST. and EASY are all worthwhile teaching.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I need help on working with heel. We aren't very good with that one yet. So how do you reccommend teaching heel. I have tried the slap on the leg but I feel like I am not doing something right.
    I've never heard of the slap-on-the-leg method, but I tried to briefly describe how to teach "heel" in this topic: https://justlabradors.com/forum/index.php?topic=550.0

I am not sure if you are talking about heeling or loose-leash walking though. When you go for a walk with your dog, it will be more enjoyable for your pup to be allowed to roam a bit (on leash) to sniff and explore. Heeling comes in handy when you're crossing streets or walking past other people/dogs. Heeling put your dog in a very focused (on you) state/position, so the dog will ignore the rest of the world.

Ok so how do you actually teach "watch me" "get it?" I am trying place and side already--although I feel sloppy doing "side" any suggestions?

Thanks for the tips--great ideas!

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I like teaching using treats as a lure. For example, with "watch me," you start out by showing your pup a piece of treat in your hand. Once his attention is on the treat, you say "watch me" and move your had with the treat to your eyes. As soon as you make eye contact with the pup, praise, then give him the treat.

Do that several times, then try to say "watch me" without luring him with treats first. See if he knows what "watch me" means and looks at you. If not, go back to luring him for a bit longer. If yes, praise, and treat. Eventually, you'll give treats only occasionally.

I also teach watch me by moving my hand with the treat straight out to my right. At the beginning they will follow the treat, as soon as their eyes move back to you. Reward. Eventually try with the left hand. Soon they will be focusing right on you.

Come or Recall is a definite must. You can train this on a long line or leash. This is the only time I use her name. I say, Riley come. She should come immediately. If not reel them in. I always save special treats for this.

I use the wait command for feeding and walking through doors first.

Good luck!

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

And if you don't want to treat-train (which I don't), Watch is easy. Point to your nose. And PRAAAAAAISE when they even glance at you:

Good watch! I see you watching! Lookit you, looking at me! What a brillaint dog!!

Even when they follow you into the bathroom and STARE at you in there you can praise the watch!

Mine's 1 yr old now, but one thing I use a lot is wait. If we're going in the car, he waits on the deck while we go down to the driveway; I use the release word "OK", then he goes on down. I open the door, he waits, I say "OK", he gets in. I usually don't have his collar on in the house, so when he goes outside, it's 'wait' or now 'collar', then the release "OK". Wait for us means just a short time while he stands or sits, then OK means go. It's just routine now. It's a habit, so saying wait isn't always necessary anymore..I just release with "OK". Or if I'm going outside to empty garbage or whatever, I'll just tell him to wait; that means I'll be right back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast