Stubborn scared 6 month old chocolate

Thread: Stubborn scared 6 month old chocolate

Zacjr is offline Junior Member

DefaultStubborn scared 6 month old chocolate

I have a lil girl that I just picked up from a breeder last week. She was great when I first got her! She loves to play fetch with a ball or a frisby and brings it back every time! BUT, she is scared to death when she goes on walks or to the park and when I put a leash on her. She won't wag her tail on walks and walks with her head down. I have been making some progress with the leash though, she will walk with me and beside me for the most part until she hears something. When she is in the house with me she is a really sweet girl, but she doesn't want to learn tricks or anything. All she wants to do is be lazy. The only way I can get her to wag her tail and show excitement is when we play fetch. Is this normal behavior? Please help me anyone! I'm starting to think she was abused by the breeder or something, I know she has potential to be an awesome dog and I'm willing to give her time and attention. I just don't know what to do

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

That's pretty normal. They don't automatically know how to walk on a leash and if the area you are walking is busy and noisy, it can take a while for the pup to become comfortable with all that. Start with short walks on side streets, where it isn't so busy or noisy and then gradually introduce her to busier areas. You don't want to push too hard as you risk making her a fearful dog. Just work with her slowly and let her build up her confidence at a pace she can handle. It may take several weeks before she's confident enough to walk on a busy street. If there are parks or quiet stress nearby, start there. Let her meet as many people and other dogs as you can so that your socializing her to all sorts of new things. Hope this helps.

Also keep in mind that she's in a new environment with you , so it may take some time for her to come out of her shell and show her true personality to you. Your title says she's 6 months old so she's a good age to start a beginners obedience class. These are great for socializing the pup and for you to learn how to train her.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Zacjr is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I have enrolled her in her first class tomorrow. We did just have a great trip to the local park, she played fetch for 45 min non stop, and walked on a trail for about a mile with the leash and did great. Still she is freighted by quick movements and loud noises, but overall today was good.

It's normal to be frightened of loud noises and quick movements, the trick is to carry on like nothing happened. If you react, it just reinforces to her that she should be afraid of those things. If you show her that there is nothing to worry about, she'll pick up on that from you.

Piper77 is offline Member

One tip Ill add too...if you can really try to desensitize her to thunder storms. I got Piper from a breeder at age 6 months (she's 10.5 now) and I'm not sure if it is something that I unknowingly perpetuated but I wish I could have done what I could to curb that behaviour. She's so disturbed by thunder and fireworks that she will often shake. Sometimes even the sound of rain will send her to her 'hiding' and comfort spots. I've ignored it for years but it still breaks my heart to see her get like that. She is also easily spooked by certain noises. A sneeze will send her running and the hiccups freak her right out!

oakley is offline Senior Member

Oakley doesn't like the hiccups either!

Desensitizing is cruicial. Keep at it and she will be right as rain.