Bad Biting Behaviour AKA Monster Biter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Biting Behaviour AKA Monster Biter

DefaultBad Biting Behaviour AKA Monster Biter

My puppy is driving my wife and I crazy. She will be 12wks tomorrow, Monday. This past week she has been exhibiting terrible biting* behavior...monster biter* . She was doing* very well until now...going to the door to signal when she needed to go potty, but now, she's pee'd a couple of times again on the carpet with out warning, and back to biting like crazy stage . Not saying she was potty trained yet but she hadn't potty'd in over 1.5 weeks in the house.* *Is this normal???* Sometimes it's like she's a mad puppy!* We're trying to teach her 'No Bite', but sometimes she just gets mad and doesn't want to listen...I just want to know if other parents go thru this with their puppies and will it pass?* *:-\

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bad Biting Behaviour AKA Monster Biter

When Ender gets bitey well "yelp"... and give him one of his nylabones/kongs. If it persists... we grab his upper jaw (letting his lips curl so he gets to feel his own sharp puppy teeth) and say "no bite!"

Thankfully so far we haven't had much of a problem... I think this is because he had extra time with some of his littermates and spent some time with my mom's adult lab. ;D
    ~Lindsay

She is going to bite for awhile....its a lab thing!!! Good news is she will outgrow it...just continue to be consistent with the NO BITE correction.* She may also be teething so as Ender's mom says...keep something handy to give her when she bites.* They do seem to get mad...I used a squirt bottle on Beau when he got out of hand with the biting...sometimes the physical contact is "Playing" to them.

Remember she is a puppy and has lots of energy.* When she is peeing in the house is it after playing???* I still remember a post at the old site the made me laugh & stuck in my head with Beau...(sorry..I don't remember who said it)...when your puppy pees on the floor....take the rolled up newspaper and hit yourself on the forehead!!!* When Beau had accidents it was usually because I didn't have him outside enough or stopped to do something "real quick" after we were playing!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sometimes i feel as though Zoey is trying to test her boundries w/us :-\ ...she does tend to respond with the "no bite" command when we use the water bottle sqirt in conjuction w/ a yelp and a "no bite"...the wife and I are just all around tired now, b/c we try to give Zoey all of our attention and are teaching her the basic commands of sit, stay, come, and down...

I guess i felt we were really starting to get progress b/c she was really doing so well going to the door w/ going potty outside and the biting wasn't so bad...but i guess were at the stage now where her adult teeth are going to start coming in and she going to start teething really bad...the good news is that we start Puppy Kindergarten next Saturday...
    And the other neat thing was that our good friends brought their 2 yr. old yellow lab over (Kash..he's a big boy too), and he taught Zoey right away who the Alpha dog was...i think she may need that b/c sometimes she runs all over mummy and daddy!* *:P

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Well please don't let "run all over" you ... she's only gonna get bigger and she needs to know who's in charge!

Regarding biting ... it is probably going to get worse before it gets better. So prepare yourself. The good news is that by month 4 to 5 you should start to see it taper off. By 6 months old there was no more nipping. You do, however, need to be very consistent now (in how you handle it) for that to happen. No resting on your laurels ;D

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

I agree. Bailey is 4 and a half months now and we can definitely see a difference. When she gets mouthy (not especially bitey anymore) we know she's really tired. You need to be in charge and you need to make sure she understands it's never okay for her to put her mouth on you. She's only gonna get bigger and stronger and you need to be boss.

We're thinking of getting another little girl and we're already dreading the bitey stage again. We're actually thinking adopting this time so we don't go through that. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. If you don't stop her biting now, though, it might just be the train

Our Gabby is a rebel (as you will see in this picture), she does bite quite a bit and I just think it's normal. We can't expect them to be good all the time though. It's like a little kid, they go through their stages. We just have to be consistent and wear long sleeves and keep teaching away.

Enders is on the right track. All Labs are bitey and it will quit. The yelp worked for us. If she did it while playing, we stopped immediately and addressed the situation, no more fun if you bite. A few shirts, pants, and my wifes stuff later, she stopped like it was a light switch. I think it was very shortly before or after losing those baby teeth which hurt so bad. They will grow out of it, give it time, but between now and then they will nip your jeans and your hands. Address it promptly and expect it to happen again because they get excited or forget. It will sink in over time. Allie is still mouthy at times and still bites hard during really rough play, but a simple no bite stops her in her tracks. We wrestle a lot and every once and a long while she will accidently get me harder than I expected, but the no bite works everytime. Shannon gets the lets cuddle side of our dog, I get the rough housing im going to get you style playing. Its a lot of fun, but every now and then I get the "let me sleep on you" cuddling too.

I'm a proud parent, what can I say?

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

At 5 months Koko only gets nippy when she is tired and even then it's more of a wanting to hold your finger in her mouth! So it will get better! As for the accidents in the house Koko went through a time after going 2 1/2 weeks w/o an incident so we followed the advise given here and started back at step one. Schedule, when she woke up after eating during play time after play time ect.. after a few days she was back to normal. I think sometimes they just need to be reminded of the rules (kinda like kids!). Now the only time we have a problem is if no one is paying attention then it is a few drips by the door and a LOUD bark!

Toby is a lot better with the nipping. It all of a sudden stopped in the last 3 weeks. I would say as soon as he turned 13-14 weeks old. He has been loosing a lot of the baby sharp needle teeth also. Be persistant, it will pay off. He only nips now when he is really tired. Usually when that happens, we hold him and get him to settle, then he drops to the floor and falls asleep. Like he did in puppy K last night!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast