12 week puppy and temper

Thread: 12 week puppy and temper

Angel1254123 is offline Junior Member

Default12 week puppy and temper

Hello, I could use some advice on curbing aggressive biting behavior of my new little friend. When she begins mouthing it is not playful at all. She becomes angry that I tell her no bite and refuse to play. She will then growl and begin lunging at my legs. She bites really hard with her mouth wrapped around my foot and ankle. She has even drawn blood. She will not play at all with biting hard. My sister has her brother and he refuses to play with her due to her aggressiveness. She gets so frustrated that she will not stop. It almost feels like a dog attack. Lol...she is so smart and almost house broke. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have not had a dog in years and would hate to re home her because I have a 6 year old child.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

There are plenty of threads here already discussing training bite inhibition and I suggest you read them as they have already given lots of good information. Also, it isn't aggression, it is puppy behaviour. It is your job to train her that mouthing isn't acceptable. Don't blame the puppy for being a puppy.

Angel1254123 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaisdad View Post
    There are plenty of threads here already discussing training bite inhibition and I suggest you read them as they have already given lots of good information. Also, it isn't aggression, it is puppy behaviour. It is your job to train her that mouthing isn't acceptable. Don't blame the puppy for being a puppy.
    I have read them and I believe she is having issues with temper. It turns to aggression after I redirect the behavior. I was not blaming her for being a puppy and I am fully aware of my responsibility to train her. That's why I posted here! Your comment is completely worthless and you waisted your time in replying. I would imagine you are the type of person that always has to have an answer even though you don't know. Irritating.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Well, since you have all the answers you're on your own. Good luck.

Archie is offline Senior Member

It isn't aggression. Puppy play looks aggressive, but it isn't, especially at only 12 weeks. Lots of patience and consistency, read up on bite inhibition, and try to anticipate when the biting is the worse (morning? after dinner?) because it could be caused by being over tired, in which case you would want to crate the pup to force nap time.

Don't look at it as aggression, or you risk getting heavy-handed with the corrections.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

it is not aggression, it is not a temper. it is a puppy being a puppy. you asked how to deal with teh biting, the above poster said there are tons of threads already that answer this question with TONS of answers and techniques, this member was not being rude they were answering your question.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

the pup is being a pup, and if you act like something is wrong with the pup, it will pick up on it.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Teaching a puppy takes A LOT OF PATIENCE! A dedicated owner will be working with their dog for at least a year if not two before they are just right as far as behavior. Actually training and reinforcement is a lifetime thing a good owner does. After a while it become second nature.

dukeofempire is offline Member

Some puppies take longer to train not to nip than others, how old was she when you got her?