6 week old lab: Need friendly advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 week old lab: Need friendly advice

JonZ-IL is offline Junior Member

Default6 week old lab: Need friendly advice

On Oct. 27th I picked up a 6 week old yellow Labrador , so far so good.

However, I'm 24 now and have this very young pup and I want to make sure that I do the best job possible for his sake. 6 weeks is very young, as I've researched, that said he was the last of a 5 pup litter to be sold so regardless he was going to be sold at 6 weeks as he was the only yellow male. So please, check your criticism, condescension, and judgement at the door and please, please give me any advice you think I'll need.

Now I've had 6 dogs previously growing up 1 Brittany Spaniel and the rest yellow/fox red labs. My first dog was a female fox red Labrador (3rd dog if counting family dogs) and she bred with the family fox red and she had 11 puppies! Now I was about 12 so my dad mainly took care of the pups, but I was involved as well albeit on a much lesser basis as my parents were divorced and I wasn't there that frequently. However I did get some experience raising puppies along with their mother.

I have 2 doggie barriers, 1 dog crate, 2 puppy Nylabones, 1 squeak stuffed duck toy, 3 stainless steel bowls, puppy pee pads, pet odor neutralizer, a buckle collar, and a leash.

He's been vaccinated for Parvovirus and has been dewormed and we are waiting until he's 8 weeks old before getting the rest of his vaccinations from our vet.

My plan for now is to put him in his crate on an old t-shirt of mine when he falls asleep as well as putting his water and food bowl in there so that he will get used to going into his crate for his own desire. Currently I'm laying outside his crate and typically he'll wake up and snuggle on my pillow or next to my hands/arm. I'm wanting to keep his crate open until he's 8 weeks old when I will begin delving deeper into crate training. I've been doing basic training with him trying to teach him his name (Hutch), sit, come, outside (go potty), and down.

I feed him watered down Purina Puppy Chow twice a day at 8:20 AM and 8:20 PM. I also set my alarm for 4:30 AM to take him outside to go to the bathroom.

Other than that I'm with him nearly 24/7 minus about 30 minutes to use the bathroom and bathe/shower. That said, any advice, tips, or constructive criticism would be very helpful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Eresh is offline Senior Member

At that age I would break his food up to three times a day instead of two. Also, I'm sure you discovered already, that due to his young age he might need to learn bite inhibition from you (they usually get that from littermates and momma) I can't type much right now, but a google search should steer you toward how to do that. oh, and please post a picture!!!

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Agree with feeding 3 times a day. Bite inhibition and socialization will be your big tasks but the latter can't happen with other dogs until all his shots are complete.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

1028031545.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/N8QeSVL.jpg

Here he is in my room where I keep him, chewing on his toy duck that somehow went missing today.

I've been attempting to teach him bite inhibition by foolishly yelping like a puppy if he bites too hard and then isolating myself and ignoring him. It's only worked a couple of times but I've only had him for almost 4 days. He was surprisingly already pretty good about not biting so hard except when he goes after my forearm which he will try and rip (bite and shake). He is holding back his bites, but I'm trying to get it down another notch so that when he's bigger he doesn't bite so hard.

Any advice on whether I should be doing much training at this age or just focus on potty training and bite inhibition? I should also add that he's going to be a hunting dog so any advice on how I should work that in would be much appreciated.

Now I need to try and sleep or relax so I have the energy to keep him entertained tomorrow. Thanks for the advice everyone, again, anything more would be greatly appreciated.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

At 6 weeks, you could even do 4 meals. But ABSOLUTELY 3 meals a day.

1028031545.jpg

Here he is in my room where I keep him, chewing on his toy duck that somehow went missing today.

I've been attempting to teach him bite inhibition by foolishly yelping like a puppy if he bites too hard and then isolating myself and ignoring him. It's only worked a couple of times but I've only had him for almost 4 days. He was surprisingly already pretty good about not biting so hard except when he goes after my forearm which he will try and rip (bite and shake). He is holding back his bites, but I'm trying to get it down another notch so that when he's bigger he doesn't bite so hard.

Any advice on whether I should be doing much training at this age or just focus on potty training and bite inhibition? I should also add that he's going to be a hunting dog so any advice on how I should work that in would be much appreciated.

Now I need to try and sleep or relax so I have the energy to keep him entertained tomorrow. Thanks for the advice everyone, again, anything more would be greatly appreciated.

1028031545.jpg

Image attachment didn't work for some reason

Jeeze, you guys have really strict post edit regulations.

Also the post was meant for last night, for some reason it didn't go through. Doing amazing today, actually got a decent nights sleep and got him sleeping in his crate today (although I left it open with a doggie barrier in the doorway). Should I wait to lock him in the crate since he's so young? For now I'm just trying to get him to get used to going inside of it and when he falls asleep I gently pick him up and put him on a cushy pillow in the crate. I've done a lot of research over the past month and a half, but I'm constantly second-guessing myself or just wondering if what I'm doing is proper or not.

Had an incident today where I got on the floor with him after I woke up and he got ahold of my ear and bit down. I had the instant reaction to pull away and he didn't let go and gave me a pretty good gash from the middle of my ear to the outer edge. I couldn't help but sort of snarl at him and leave the room after throwing a bit of a tantrum because of the pain. Ear was covered in blood so I washed it off and disinfected. Left him barriered in my room for about 10 minutes until his crying stopped. I think today will be a long bite inhibition training day.

Any criticism or tips on how I should deal with something like that? I didn't think that the tantrum was proper, but I was a little frustrated, it wasn't directed at him I just picked up the pillow I brought down with me and threw it at the bed. However, I'm wondering about the snarl, since it was actually painful I had a less planned response and more of a natural reaction and blurted out a curse about mothers and their lovers (if you know what I mean) and sort of snarled before throwing the pillow which wasn't a natural reaction just poor self-control and then leaving the room to clean myself up and not coming back until is cries stopped.

Eresh is offline Senior Member

Awwww, what a cutie!
    I don't think your reaction was too bad. He's not going to understand the difference between potty mouth words and just plain 'ouch'. Either way, the message was the same: you made it known that it hurt and left the room. Just continue to be consistent... very very consistent (minus the pillow throwing, though believe me, I'm not judging).
    Also, from what I've read, there are two schools of thought about it. One is no teeth on skin ever, under no circumstances. The other is some teeth okay, but only gently. I'm not sure which is "better", though I expect it depends on the dog's personality. Either way, pick one 'rule' and stick to it.
    As for your question about training, it doesn't hurt to do a little bit of super basic stuff, but keep in mind that at 6 weeks he's not cognitively ready to do anything advanced. This is a good time to get him used to being on a leash. Keep it very positive and upbeat. You can also play fetch to practice retrieving and asking him to 'give' the object into your hand (try to avoid allowing him to make a habit of dropping it on the ground). I always use something just for retrieving (instead of just picking up one of his toys) so he doesn't think he can chew up whatever he is retrieving. Again, just keep it positive and upbeat. Absolutely no tug-of-war... that's just asking for a mouthy pet and a hard-mouthed retriever.
    Socializing is very important, but it's a tricky thing, because you don't want to expose him to disease before he's had all of his booster vaccinations.Find people that you can safely expose him to, such as having friends and friends with calm kids come over.
    Oh - and I hope your ear is recovering. It sounds painful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast