Our first puppy! Need some advice...

Thread: Our first puppy! Need some advice...

Pickle is offline Junior Member

DefaultOur first puppy! Need some advice...

Hi guys and gals!

Im new to the forum, and my wife and i are getting our first puppy on Saturday. He (Moose) is a rescue dog, that apparently the owner did not have enough time for him. He is a 4.5 month old chocolate lab/mix, already knows his basics (sit, lay down, stay), is housetrained for the most part, and fetches and returns very well. He will be a house/family dog, and with some training will hopfully be my occasional hunting buddy as well

I am slightly concerned, since he seems very skiddish. The 1st time we met him, he sniffed me and backed off, but within about 30 minutes was on my lap when i was sitting on the floor, and he was licking my face. I read up alot on this, and it sounds like the best thing to do is get him out to meet people/animals and get used to as many different people and places as possible (obviously over time).

My question is, how long should we let him acclimate to his new home before we start socializing him with other people/dogs/places? I wanted to get him out and introduce him to my parents Golden puppy, and my sister and laws black lab, and my 2 neices. I was thinking of doing that this weekend, but im afraid he might get confused being in a new home and then getting moved around so much the same weekend.

Any suggestions? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Here is Moose

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bikerdave47 is offline Junior Member

I'd say: go ahead and take him out, it's More about Who he's with than Where he is....Probably been ignored some if he was given-up so all is Good to go and go and go and go-LOL Dave

Archie is offline Senior Member

Maybe give him some time to settle into his new home and get used to you and your family before introducing more things. You don't want to overwhelm him, but don't coddle/baby talk, shelter him either.

Also, if you haven't already, sign up for obedience classes. They aren't just about training, they are GREAT for bonding. It's a great way for a shy dog to get out around other dogs and people in a safe environment, to learn to focus on you, and you have the help of the trainer if the dog has any anxiety/issues.

Congrats! He looks very sweet

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justlabradors is offline Administrator

Moose is beautiful.