Leadwalking - focus on me

Thread: Leadwalking - focus on me

lunamus is offline Senior Member

DefaultLeadwalking - focus on me

Hi all

Well we have an obedience competition coming up on sunday (april 9.)

As Luna's mostly off lead, our leadwalking isnt good.

She's not pulling or anything like that, its just that she's not focusing on me..

Here's the task for the day:

We walk 30 paces out - turn around - 30 paces back. Then we walk 15 paces out turn left, walk 7-8 paces, stop - walk 7-8 paces - turn left and walk 10 paces - turn around, walk 10 paces back - turn right, walk 7-8 paces, stop - walk 7-8 paces - turn right and walk 15 paces back to where we started.

After that we also have to run (slowly not full speed ahead) 15 paces out - turn right, run 15 paces - turn around and run 15 paces back - turn right and another 15 paces.

Now as we do this, Luna's supposed to be focusing on me, so she can see what we are doing, but instead she's lacking behind, and look soooo sad (like only a lab can)

My trainer said today - after watching us - that I tend to bend in my back and walk bend over, "pressing" Luna down.

So I have to walk with a straight back and a bit faster..

We cant have treats with us at the competition - unfortunately.. If we could, I would have the best leadwalking of them all

Any ideas???
    Jeanette and Luna. Sleep tight Oliver, our little kitty, thank you for 15 great years

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Leadwalking - focus on me

Good luck!

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Jeanette, are you taking about heel on leash? You might want to back out a bit and go back to basics. Start with you standing still and Luna in the heel position. With a treat, lure her to look at you. Once she got the idea with the lure, start rewarding her for looking at you when stationary (at first reward every time, then move to random rewards).

Once Luna can focus on you while stationary, start taking a couple steps forward in a straight line. You might want to lure her to look at you again to help her understand what you want. Eventually, increase the number of steps you take and decrease the amount of treats she gets. Introduce turns after that. I hope you can make a lot of progress before the competition. Good luck.

Oh, you might repost in the obedience section to get more advice from more experienced people (than me).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lunamus is offline Senior Member

Oooh Tatyana this sounds good...

And you know.. if I have a treat in my hand Luna heels perfectly.. But we are not allowed treats at the competition

But I will spend the week trying this and work with treats and hopefully she will be lured into think that there's treats on sunday aswell

Thank you Tatyana
    Jeanette and Luna. Sleep tight Oliver, our little kitty, thank you for 15 great years

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

If her attention is wandering, she may be bored. If your heeling pattern is always as you described, it's understandable.

Mix it up. Keep her involved. Throw in some unexpected things -- even if they're not required in the ring (a moving stand, a moving drop). She'll focus on you if you're less predictable.