Let the questions begin...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let the questions begin...

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultLet the questions begin...

Forgive me in advance...

Ender is 12 weeks (today!) old and today is his first day home.* (oh... and got his second set of shots 2 weeks ago)

How much should he be sleeping?* I'm afraid he's sleeping out of boredom and not because he's tired... so I guess I just need to know how much during the day he should sleep.

If he's bored I'd know it right?* Here at our house we don't have a big yard so when I take him out it is usually for a short walk down to the bike trail where there are a few walkers/bikers... not many dogs we've seen so far though our neighborhood is full of them from what I've seen over the past few weeks.

On our walks he's really staying close to us unless there is a person who he wants to say hi too.* Is this normal or should he be exploring?* Is he just a momma's boy?* (yes we are leashing him 100% of the time)* I should mention our walks are pretty leisurely we aren't pulling him and he isn't pulling us.... yet.

Apollo, my mom's dog... is a HUGE puller and they have a prong (the chain thing with the spikes going into the dog's neck)... and he just pulls away most of the time.* (I think the collar is too loose but I can't say anything 'cause my mom is the expert of everything)* I want to avoid this at all possible so is there something I should be doing, while Ender is 3 months old to teach him to walk nicely on the leash?* I think I read that they are not quite ready for heeling and I want him to be able to sniff around.. just not pull the leash and choke himself.* (Right now we have a nylon adjustable collar)

During the time he is crated for 2.5-4 hrs... should he have water in his crate with him at this time?* I was planning on giving him a frozen kong (banana/yogurt) but I'm confused whether you want him to have access to water while he's crated?

Ok... is that enough questions for my 8th hour of puppy ownership?* I know I owe you guys some pictures and I promise they are coming.
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dare1969 Guest

DefaultRe: Let the questions begin...

When I got Sydney, she was 12 weeks old also. She was the runt of the litter, and she is a lot smaller than she should be.

I would consider labs to have a high energy level, and I make sure to play/execise 2-3 times a day for about 10 - 15 min.

She does sleep to, but remember 12 weeks is still pretty young and their bodies are still growing.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and I would put the water in the crate

Dogs sleep allot. *Modie wakes up at 5 a.m. *plays for a couple of hours and then crashes for a nap. *He sleeps on and off during the day combined with periods of play. *He eats at 4 p.m. and then takes a long walk. *He will be very active again for about two hours and then crashes for the night. *My adult labs sleep allot also. *I have heard dogs sleep about 16 hours per day. *Trust me he will be exploring during walks soon enough. *I am taking Modie to puppy kindergarden and they teach side. Which is treat the dog as he comes to your side. *Good way to get his attention and this command is the "precursor to heeling" my instructor says. *I also ask Modie to watch me if there are distractions or barking dogs and treat him for his hard work. *Allows us to move along a little faster on the walk. *Trust me everything will work out just fine. *He is a beautiful pup and he has a very fine family.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

He's probably just unsure of what's going on. This is his third new home. Give him a couple days. You'll be wishing he would sleep.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Ooo... good linky... thank you.
    ~Lindsay

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

I think at that age they sleep about 18 hours a day! If he wants to sleep let him it may be his way of adjusting! As for the water in the crate? I don't know?? Hope someone else can help you!
    Welcome home sweet boy!

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Well, in my experience.... we put water in the x-pen with CoCo, since she is in there alone for 7-8hrs during the work day... and she'll barely touch it because she sleeps the almost entire time (after she licks her Kong clean that is)! She drinks lots when she's out with us and has access.

In your case, Ender will only be along 3-4hrs at a time, and then he'll get a break. If I were you I wouldn't be putting the water in the crate, since the water goes through them pretty quickly. Just be sure he gets a good drink during your lunch break. Not only will Ender not really miss it, you also aren't risking having him spill it in his crate and being uncomfortable on a wet bed!

However, do what you feel most comfortable doing!

I would agree that CoCo sleeps about 18hrs per day. Naps are a life saver!!
    ~Jo & CoCo

I would not recommend water in crate since it is a short period of time and it goes right through them. Kimba was crated from 8 weeks for 4 hours every weekday morning with no water and did just fine.

Great link!

Taffys Mom is offline Senior Member

Welcome home Ender!!!

About the sleeping - he's a puppy and will sleep alot. Plus, he just travelled. That could knock him out too. Also his schedule has been interrupted.

I doubt he's bored. You will know when he's bored. How, you ask? By the chewed up shoes, rug, remote control, papers, etc...LOL

We never used a prong on Taf. There were times I'd have liked to, but my husband is of the old school impression that they are cruel and refuses. I did make sure I walked Taffy on leash often as a puppy. I figured I better teach her the acceptable ways to walk on leash when she was small, because once she grew full size, I would not be strong enough to control her.

(I don't remember which set of shots are needed before a puppy can be out and about. But I remember we couldn't take Taffy out to the street til after her next set (she was 14 weeks when we got her). Maybe someone else will respond so you know Ender is safe outside).

Enjoy and have fun!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast