How to get dog to go in his room

Thread: How to get dog to go in his room

jojuvan is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow to get dog to go in his room

Since we got Samson at 8 weeks old, his "room" has been my son's room. He sleeps in there, and used to go in there when we left the house. He does go in there fine at night, but now the ONLY way to get him in there during the day (either for a time out, or when we are leaving to go somewhere) is when my husband puts him in there, which usually consists of him picking him up and throwing him in there because he just won't go in!

When it's just me... I'm pretty much forced to leave him out in the house because I can't physically put him in the room (i'm pregnant and he's 70 lbs!) and he won't go in there. How do we get him to like to go in his room, or at least listen to us when we say "go to your room"? We've tried putting his food and water in there, tried bribing him with treats, toys...etc. Nothing.

the times he goes in there for "time outs" is rare. Usually once or twice a week if he's just being CRAZY and getting into EVERYTHING (daughters toys, food on the table, remotes, diapers, blankets...etc.) YES.. he gets exercise and YES he gets attention and played with. But there are just some times that he gets in these moods. I think he is just wanting attention so he does all these bad things. Well, I will NOT give him attention when he does these things, so we have to give him a time out.

ugh... please help. This is getting exhausting!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Archie is offline Senior Member

Try using a really yummy treat like cheese or a piece of meat, show it to him outside the room, then throw it to the back wall of the room. When he runs in after it, close the door.

Once he's doing that well, you can start to recondition him to enjoy going in there, much like you would with a crate.

Physically putting him in there is going to make him resist even more.

dogfur is offline Member

Picking him up and throwing him in there will be good for long term damage to his joints that will cost you lot of money.
    As you say he is wanting and needing attention. Labs love people and if trained will hang out with you without any problems.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jojuvan is offline Junior Member

Yep, we've done the "throw the treat in there" thing. he knows what comes next... the door shuts behind him. that no longer works. I went in there today, sat on the bed with his freshly filled Kong.. and he stood on the outside of the door trying to lick it. My guess is that it's going to take a lot of coaxing, over a period of time to get him to go in there.

The issue is not "if trained will hang out with you without any problems." the issue is when we are gone we want him in his room, not roaming around the house. He's a good dog otherwise, and like I said... only goes in his room at bedtime or when he needs a timeout (which is rare... as I said.)

Becky Monroe is offline Junior Member

There isn't a quick fix for this because, unfortunately, labs are smart. BTW, throwing will get the exact opposite of what you want - eventually you won't be able to catch him TO throw him. Coax him in the room, (you're right it's going to take a long period of time), and immediately LET HIM LEAVE. Keep doing that until he feels safe going into the room. Right now he knows as soon has he 'falls' for it, you're going to shut the door. Have you considered a gate rather than shutting the door? You also shouldn't be using the area you want him to relax and wait in as the same area he is sent to for punishment. A 'timeout' could be on a bed - anywhere. Never put him in there without something special.

When I taught Dodge to kennel in his run I only used it when I had to leave, always hid a yummy bone in it and always made him wait for permission before he 'could' go in. In other words, being in the run was a treat to be waited for with a treat waiting. He's boundary trained now so I don't have to use a run very often but when I do, all I have to say is 'kennel up' and he runs in, waiting for the treat he still gets.

At this point, you might want to pick a different place for Samson to stay while you're gone and start fresh - make it a treat to go in and make him wait to go in to get the treat. Also do it in short spurts at first. BTW, he is also reading your reluctance to leave him in there. Part of you is not happy with it and he picks up on that.