5.5 month old puppy biting older dogs ears hard enough to make her yelp!

Thread: 5.5 month old puppy biting older dogs ears hard enough to make her yelp!

jim
    jim is offline Junior Member

Question5.5 month old puppy biting older dogs ears hard enough to make her yelp!

We have an older lab (female) who's 3 1/2 years old, a 5 1/2 month (male) old puppy lab mix (not sure what he's mixed with), and a smaller dog (female) that I don't know much about since it's a brothers but she's very small.. probably 10-15lbs. The puppy was a singleton.

He'll bite the older labs neck, ears, back, and recently has started trying to mount her. He'll even bite her ears hard enough that she yelps/whines. If she fetches something, as shes running back he'll "stalk" or bow his front and raise his rear then run and ram into her (neck area) when she gets closer. At least that's what it looks like. He also loves stealing anything she has. Mostly toys and things shes chewing on. Not food which I think is good.

The older dog is very submissive. She seems to correct him with barks and growls but they don't always seem to do anything. It looks like it's random if he'll stop or not.

Some times the biting at her ears/neck gets her to chase him around in the backyard. She'll growl and bark in a high pitch while she chases him. It looks like he loves it.

As for the puppy and smaller female, he will pin her on her back and they'll play. It doesn't look rough at all and never has she yelped/whined. She'll sometimes even start to turn the tables and get in his face even though shes 1/3rd his size.

It's only the older/bigger lab that he seems to bother by stealing from and biting hard. The older lab and smaller female don't play at all 1 on 1. The only time they play is when the smaller female tries to bite the older labs ankles as the older lab is chasing the puppy. It's a one way thing and the older lab has found out that by sitting down she can stop it. The smaller female never bites the puppies ankles.

My questions are:

- Is this normal? It seems normal but some times I feel bad for her since he'll make her whine from pain(?)
    - Will he "grow out of it"?
    - What should we do? Just let it go? Stop him completely? What kind of effect would that have on him if he wasn't allowed to play with the other dogs?

The puppy just seems to be a big bully and we're not sure if it's normal or something he'll eventually grow out of.

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

Yes, all of this is completely normal. If you feel he's being too rough for your liking, it's your job to train him "enough"/"too much" or whatever command you'd like him to listen to

jim

Thanks!

Do you think he'll grow out of it or it's just something that we'll have to deal with?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jim

Well, our older lab got attacked by 2 pitbull [possibly mixed] dogs tonight while we were walking so the biting of her ears will need to stop since they really got them good. So maybe it was a sign? haha I don't know.. what a crazy night.

Thanks again for any help and advice on the questions!

jim

Oops, forgot to say that she looks fine and we'll be taking her to the vet first thing in the morning. The worst is a couple puncture wounds behind her ears and a laceration on the inside of the ear. Couple smaller puncture wounds from teeth and scratches here and there. She's also limping but it's not as bad now as it was earlier about an hour and a half ago. No bleeding right now so I think everything has clotted up. I hope she'll be OK!