I need help with my 12 week old Chocolate - Biting and it hurts!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help with my 12 week old Chocolate - Biting and it hurts!!

Meeg1971 is offline Junior Member

QuestionI need help with my 12 week old Chocolate - Biting and it hurts!!

Our girl Ruby is 12 weeks old, every time we go on a walk, she attacks me. I have holes in my pants and sweaters from the attacks. I've been bit in the face, leg, ankles and hands and she gets me good. I spend 15 mins fighting with her (telling her off, sit, trying to distract her and everything I can think of), then we walk for a minute and then the attacks continue. We tried a halti, but she wriggled out of it and then bit me. I've tried yelping really loud, does nothing, I've been telling her NO BITE, nothing, leaving her alone when she bites and then I come back and she keeps doing it. I've also tried to give her something else to bite if she bites me. The kids are terrified of her (12/10/7) and don't want her anymore (not an option). We started puppy kindergarten last week and she was as good as gold and even worked well with the trainer. When I get her in the halti, she just lays down and wriggles out of it and then bites. She doesn't respect me.

Looking for some advice. I had tried grabbing her jowls like our vet had told me, but she can get out of it and then attacks me even harder. I'm so upset and don't know what to do. When my husband takes her out, he doesn't do anything to him.

We got her from a reputable breeder and have owned a lab before who was the best dog ever.

Thanks in advance

Margaret

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Archie is offline Senior Member

Take a look through the training and puppy section for lots of great advice. This is a really common problem, and it won't be solved overnight.

Sadly, most of the experts who could have given you excellent advice are no longer here

Thanks, I will do some searching.

Ruby's mom, Margaret

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ramonaparie is offline Member

Hi Margaret,
    You just described my 5mth old choc lab Cad'Bree..
    I honestly have pretty much written your exact post. We are still going through this it's been 3mths now. And I can't see her getting any better yet.
    I've uped her exercise to exhaust her as much as I can and yet to see adifference.
    My kids are also scared of her, they don't want her either.
    I'm doing the best I can in everyday but I'm just so overwhelmed and exhausted.

Don't get discouraged, and don't give up. Like I said, there's no magic cure and it won't go away overnight. You say the kids are scared of her...do they run away? Scream? Jump? All that looks like SO much fun to a puppy, and it actually encourages the biting. Teach the kids to stand perfectly still and be absolutely silent when she starts biting them. She'll get bored with them and stop.

Make sure she's getting lots of exercise, lots of mental stimulation (training, learning new things, etc.), and just keep grabbing her muzzle gently and saying NO BITE each and every time she bites. You'll feel like you're doing it a million times a day, and eventually, it will get better and you won't remember this phase at all.

Keep going to class and work on what the trainer teaches you at home. Also, look up "nothing in life is free" training. The general idea is that she doesn't get anything without doing something for it.

Good luck!

Also, when she "attacks" you on walks, maybe try ignoring? Keep walking, don't look at her, don't talk to her. Also, try walking with a friend who has a dog that walks nicely. She will probably copy that dog.

We are giving her a ton of exercise and lots of mental stimulation but I am unable to walk her due to the constant attacks. I've posted a photo of the back of my leg to show the biting and scratching. When I grab her muzzle, she takes that as aggression and tries to bite me even harder. It's very frustrating for sure.

The kids were running away screaming and I've put a stop to that. They won't even be in the same room with her if she's running around which is not good.

I will check out nothing for free - I can use all the help I can get.

Sorry to hear it isn't getting better with time, Ramona. I was hoping this was just a puppy phase :-(
    Attached Images Attached Images

It might help if you stop looking at this behaviour as aggressive. No 12 week old puppy is aggressive. It's all play. Jumping, biting, scratching, that's how pups play with each other, she's not trying to hurt you. So, rather than getting discouraged, angry, embarrassed, worried for the future, or whatever, think about making good behaviour even MORE fun than bad behaviour.

If she tries to bite and scratch you on a walk, stand still and ignore (and wear jeans with tall boots so your poor leg can heal!!!) When she ignores you, big praise and some treats! When she walks beside you, or walks at all for that matter without going after you, GOOD GIRL praise and treats.

A lot of what we do to try to teach puppies to stop doing what they're doing is really fun for them. Yelling, pushing them, saying no, all that is fun! They like rough play.

I will also mention again that it's a GREAT idea to let your puppy play with an older, friendly, fully vaccinated dog. Sometimes other dogs are WAY better at teaching a puppy manners than we are. I was lucky enough that my mom's 9 year old pit bull cross taught Archie a lot of good lessons, without ever hurting him.

And, if you need some encouragement, Archie was just like this at your pup's age.

We started weekly obedience training at 12 weeks, practiced every day at home for at least 15 minutes, plus all his exercise.

He's now almost 6 months old, still goes to class every week, we still practice every day, and we still have our problems (some leash pulling, jumping up on people, etc.)

BUT he NEVER bites, listens really well when we correct his mistakes. He still mouths but is gentle so that's fine.

It gets better. Keep going to class and hang in there.

Thanks Laura - that is encouraging news. In spite of all the biting, I do love her and look forward to seeing her every day. We are excited to go to class. Thanks for your help - it really means a lot!

Margaret

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast