Barking puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barking puppy

Ramonaparie is offline Member

DefaultBarking puppy

We are having problems with our Neighbours complaining about Cad'Bree barking, she barks mostly when we are home, cause she wants to come inside and I do let her in most times, but when she gets too much Il pop out to her crate.
    My nice Neighbours have said she's quiet when we aren't home. So she's got it all the wrong way around.
    But last night I called the police because the bad Neighbours have threatened to poison her.
    It became a big screaming match.
    They have dogs too that bark in the middle of the night and I never complain.
    I fitted her with a citronella collar and things have been much better. But she's leant to do a higher pitched yap to not let off the spray.. She's pretty clever.
    I can't believe it's come to this with my Neighbours, who even accused me of kidnapping their cat.. Yep their cat. What a joke!
    Does any one have advice for the barking? Is it something we can work on with the obedience training?
    I feel like making her bark more now to really annoy them, but I dong want anything to happen to her..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Archie is offline Senior Member

Sorry about your neighbour issues. All that aside, you do need to address the barking issues.

On the plus side, you have a pup that is quiet when you're not home, which is great!

If the barking is only happening when you are home, there's no reason you can't nip it in the bud. Keep the crate inside the house. Make sure your pup is getting LOTS of exercise, and try not to crate her too much or for too long. When you do crate her, cover with a blanket, keep it in a quiet but accessible spot in the house. If she barks, don't say anything, just give the crate 2 hard bangs on the top and walk away. If she's quiet, pop a treat in to her.

Sounds like you are crating her outside? I could be wrong though. It's important to keep her crated close enough to you that you can quickly correct her when she starts barking. Good luck!

Her crate is on our decking which is right next to our living area/kitchen she can always see us. But I can move it inside and try covering her up.
    But what do I do when I let her out in the yard and constantly yaps at the door. It's really frustrating me and having my Neighbours on me about it. Is really upsetting me. My neighbour got physical with me and police came and everything.
    I went around to surrounding Neighbours and all said they have no issue with her.
    We time the barking and it's probably constant for 5mins till she realizes I'm not giving in.
    We have the bark collar and she taught herself to bark to a certain point that the spray won't go off.
    I'm at my whits end. I've never had so much problems with one dog;(

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Let the dog in to be with her family. Problem solved. Labs love to be with their people and I can see no reason for her to be left outside if she's rather be inside with you. A dog left alone outside will find their own ways of entertaining themselves which isn't always desirable. She's also at risk of theft or poisoning or other dangers.

Archie is offline Senior Member

Agree with kaisdad. If she is barking to come in, let her in. Problem solved.

Over the last couple of days I've been having her inside the house more frequently, and she'll even bark inside, and in her crate. I cover it up so it's like a den for her. But nope she still barks off..
    She's in the house alot more now, but she gets time out more frequently too, after nipping the kids and stuff like that...

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Train her the command 'no speak'. You do this by first teaching 'speak'. It's often easy to predict when a dog is about to bark if you watch carefully. Just as she is about to bark, give the command 'speak' and after she barks praise her. It won't take long for her to speak on command. Once she understands 'speak' it makes it much easier to teach 'no speak' (assuming she already understands other 'no' commands, such as 'no jump', 'no pull', etc). This process associates the behaviour with a command, making it easier to correct the behaviour. Hope this helps.

Thank you I will definitely try that.. I never thought of doing the speak/no speak command.
    I can't believe how out of control my Neighbours have been.
    She barks for a few minutes and then self settles.
    At 3am their two dogs were barking for ages.

So Cad'Bree now has taken to barking inside the house and in the crate, covering her with a blanket over the crate doesn't help. It just aggravates her more.
    Do u think it would be ok to use a material muzzle on her? She can still drink with it.
    And to only put it on when she gets in to her barking rage, and remove it when she's calm and relaxed

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

a dog can still bark (or make noise) when wearing a muzzle.e

can you please be specific, when is she barking (what is she doing, other than barking, and what are you doing). A dog barking when you crate them and you are indoors is pretty normal, they want to be with you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast