When to start training!!

Thread: When to start training!!

DefaultWhen to start training!!

When is the right time to start to train a puppy..I often come across 4 mths and some say at around 6 months??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When to start training!!

the minute you bring them through the door you can start teaching sit, stay, down and most importantly come

Laura

Start right away. If you wait too long the bad habits will already have started and it's hard to break them. My girls learned "sit" within 5 minutes... that's the easiest to train! Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I started my new pup the very first day he was home. He just turned four months and can do a beautiful sit and down stay, turn, side, sit, down, shake hands and watch me. We learn a new command every couple of days. He loves it and it wears him out a little too.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    the minute you bring them through the door you can start teaching sit, stay, down and most importantly come
    And name recognition. And leash/collar familiarity. And to trust you w/things like playing with their toes, rolling on the back for a bellyrub, and NOT to food-guard.

Yes - All important lessons for good manners. But be aware that it's going to take a TON of patience at this age. Their attention span is basically the same as a flea's, so keep your 'training' sessions short and full of fun and happy-talk.

I started Gabby right away and she's going to start puppy training this week. She's only 8 weeks, but I figure it's better early than...chewing my arm off.

As puppies they soak in the commands like a sponge. Now that Allie is older, she takes to things quickly, but not as quickly as when she was 6 months. I could teach a lesson a day, now its more like a lesson a week. Allie's attention span has increased which with a puppy your lucky to get 30 mins before they get bored.

I agree, train as quickly as possible, sit, stay, down, off etc. Don't start intense training with a trainer till she is around 6-8 months. Some of the activities that we do are not possible with small puppies. Like jumping on 2 foot high divider walls, table tops to teach place, etc. Some of the activities are made for full size labs.

Also, when training younger puppies, start teaching them to sit and wait on food instead of rushing you. Also get them use to pulling on their legs, and ears. That will help you when cleaning the ears after swimming and cut the nails after they grow out. We get a lot of compliments in this area, because Allie stays still. Also helps if you don’t have children, you can do just about anything to Allie and she wont nip or growl, so I feel comfortable with children ruff housing her.