Treats

Thread: Treats

chum87 is offline Junior Member

DefaultTreats

Hi, I am new to this so apologies if this has already been asked previously.

I will be getting my 7 week old labrador puppy tomorrow and I was just wondering if there were any treats he would be allowed at a young age to assist with training? Most treats I have seen suggest they have them when they are 4 months+ so was wondering if there was anything else I could give him?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cillovely is offline Senior Member

You can just use his kibble as treats for training. But I also gave my pup treats before 4 months. Old Mother Hubbards were the biscuts I used to give him, they have small ones perfect for puppies.

arlinevg is offline Member

Are you kidding me??? I can't even imagine not using treats to train a lab! I bought treats before I even brought any of my pups home. They have small "training treats" that you can purchase. These are usually the size of the tip of your pinky finger that are excellent to use b/c they are tasty and not a lot of calories. I like the ones that are soft/moist versus the dry biscuit type, but if you have a true lab, they'll eat anything with gusto. I've also purchased that Dick Van Patten dog food roll (comes in Turkey, lamb and beef formulas) that I slice up and then cut up into little cubes. It will dry out once cut up, so I keep it in a plastic bag when using, and keep refrigerated once opened or cut up. Dogs LOVE that stuff, it's a high value treat, used for special training (e.g. at the puppy obedience training classes). I also purchased the little jars of Gerber baby food, chicken, beef or turkey and use that ONLY for my recall training exercises. Learned that one through my Sirius puppy trainer at one of our Puppy I classes. My black lab, Odie, can't get to me fast enough, when I call him b/c he knows he'll get that delicious lick of baby food. I also really like Zuke's Mini Naturals Dogs Treats, different flavors, salmon, peanut butter, etc. 1 lb bag is $7.99 on amazon.com or KVVet.com has great pricing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

I just used the regular kibble that I was feeding at the time. My guys are so food motivated that there was no need to use anything special. Remember to subtract the kibble used for training from the amount fed at meal times, otherwise it's very easy to end up with a fat pup.

chum87 is offline Junior Member

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. I though their might have been some but when searching online 99% of them state 3 months and over.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Kibble, cut up hot dogs, bits of string cheese, small puppy biscuits. They can have just about anything.

I am more concerned with getting the pup at 7 weeks. Most states it's illegal to sell puppies until they are 8 weeks.