neutering

Thread: neutering

Defaultneutering

I live in Finland with my 10-month-old black lab. We have not had Kimba neutered as our vet here said to wait until he is over a year old. I am starting to rethink neutering Kimba at all but do not intend on breeding him. In Finland it is very uncommon to neuter and spay dogs. My concern is that we are returning to the states within the next year. I would like some advice on neutering my dog, I suppose I would like to know the pros and cons of it. Also, he is accustomed to playing at dog parks and I intend on allowing him time in dog parks in the US. Will he be allowed in if he is not neutered?
    Thanks everyone. Just not sure what to do and what is best for our boy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: neutering

I would get him neutered. Especially if you don't intend to breed him. After a year there really is no benefit (that I can think of) to keeping him intact. Here in the states, altering your dog or cat is considered the responsible thing to do, and we already have way too many irresponsible pet owners who are not spaying/neutering thus our shelters are over crowded and many many animals are euthanized each year. I think most dog parks will allow him whether his neutered or not, but that just means that anyone with a female in heat can enter as well and you could have a real problem on your hands then.

I thought just like here in Finland you could not bring your female in heat to a dog park? Isn't that asking for trouble? I understand that is is very customary in US to spay and neuter as I am from there but I also think it is the irresponsibility of the pet owners when "accidents" happen just as you said and I am not one of those types of dog owners. I do not intend to let my dog even get anywhere near a female in heat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

After waiting until the growth plates close, there really isn't a good reason NOT to get him nuetered. What is your thinking in keeping him intact?

As far as the dog park, it depends if it's private or public. Many private parks don't allow intact boys, neither do doggy daycares.

I thought just like here in Finland you could not bring your female in heat to a dog park? Isn't that asking for trouble
    There's a lot of dogs that shouldn't be at dog parks, but it doesn't stop people from bringing them. Aggressive dogs aren't allowed in public or private parks, but tell that to the members on this forum who won't even step foot in a dog park anymore because of the bad experiences they've had.

Just like JackandLabs said, after Kimba reaches a certain age their is no real benefit to keeping him intact. But studies have shown that dogs that are altered tend to live longer and less likely to get certain cancers.

ok thank you for the info, I think we will go ahead and get them snipped when he is about 14 months. I for one know about dog parks, Kimba was bit, not bad, but bad enough the other night and we are waiting to see if the cuts are going to heal or scar. My husband thinks the scar gives him character. I for one am so mad at the other dog owner bc now my baby's precious, perfect face (If I do say so myself) is now ruined. :'(

dare1969 Guest

I asked my vet about neutering and spaying, and they said they recommend to do that at about 4-6 months.

My other dog (Spike the vicious Lhasa *wink wink*) was snipped at 6 mo and he is just fine, and that was almost 7 years ago.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I found this short article and liked what is said about spay/neuter. LINKY

I think a lot of vets prefer to spay/neuter early while the owners are still crazy about the puppy and have not had much time to change their mind. I personally had two different sets of peole asking to breed to my dog on our first meeting them. So, I think vets prefer to spay/neuter as soon as they can so that a lot of people can avoid the temptation of "just one litter" or "miracle of birth," etc.