And the biting hasn't stopped
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And the biting hasn't stopped

Ramonaparie is offline Member

DefaultAnd the biting hasn't stopped

Hey
    I know I've posted before about the nipping, but it hasn't even subsided a smudge yet;(( and I'm really starting to feel very overwhelmed by it.
    She'll get into a frenzy and start nipping but when I try to lead her by her collar she'll screw her nose up and do a piggy grunt and just start snapping like a crocodile.
    I put her In time out everytime she's doing it.
    Today's the first time that she's nipped and I've bled.;(
    We had a bad few weeks with barking, but she's only bark when we were home, and was really quiet while we are out. She's got it the wrong way around.
    Our neighbour(whose dog barks in the middle of the night!)
    Yelled out "shut up u F'n mongrel"
    But we did invest in the citronella collar and it has worked wonders on her..
    But the biting is really getting me down, I'm so scared that I'm gonna be unlucky and have a dog that's aggressive.
    The only time I can really pat her and be affectionate is when she first wakes up in the morning, then the rest of the day she turns in to jaws..
    She's almost 5mths old, shouldn't it be getting better soon???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Peppi is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ramonaparie View Post
    Hey
    I know I've posted before about the nipping, but it hasn't even subsided a smudge yet;(( and I'm really starting to feel very overwhelmed by it.
    She'll get into a frenzy and start nipping but when I try to lead her by her collar she'll screw her nose up and do a piggy grunt and just start snapping like a crocodile.
    I put her In time out everytime she's doing it.
    Today's the first time that she's nipped and I've bled.;(
    We had a bad few weeks with barking, but she's only bark when we were home, and was really quiet while we are out. She's got it the wrong way around.
    Our neighbour(whose dog barks in the middle of the night!)
    Yelled out "shut up u F'n mongrel"
    But we did invest in the citronella collar and it has worked wonders on her..
    But the biting is really getting me down, I'm so scared that I'm gonna be unlucky and have a dog that's aggressive.
    The only time I can really pat her and be affectionate is when she first wakes up in the morning, then the rest of the day she turns in to jaws..
    She's almost 5mths old, shouldn't it be getting better soon???
    Please read this https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...ml#post1897817 Be patient.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

She's teething, it's normal. Let me tell you what worked for Frankie at that age. He got me in the finger totally unexpectedly and I screamed OUCH at the top of my lungs. He never did it again after that.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

I remember well how extremly frustrating it is. I got my nose sliced open and at that point thought, what the heck was I thinking getting a puppy! Whatever method you use, being consistent is the answer. Use it every time she goes for the bite and eventually it will be a distant memory. I feel like you are almost there. I also screamed OUCH NO BITE, then walked away. Used, the time out method when I'd had enough and thought I was at the end of my patience. Crated him to give myself a time out too! I hope it is soon a distant memory for you!
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

I do ouch on her and it hasn't worked. I feel like nothing is working;(
    Tonight I actually cried. I was playing with her and I was sitting in the lounge, I had her toy in my hand and I was about to throw it and she just jumped up and bit my inner thigh. I have a hole in my leg that's bleeding and bloody hurts..
    Would she really not know that this my skin? Is actually biting me!

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

Ouch, that sounds sore. I am dealing with the nipping, however, i have never had an actual bite where blood has been drawn. I find that since I have been taking honey to obedience lessons I can control her behavior much better and the nipping has stopped to the extent that she only ever slips when she is majorly over excited, but if that happens i just put her to her bed for a time out to let her calm down. Have you got your pup in any sort of training? I find this helps to build up a respect for both you and your pup. I definitely have days where i'm wanting to tear my hair out as well, especially as she is still getting some teeth through some days are better than others....its a roller-coaster ride!

Nessa is offline Junior Member

How old is your pup?
    Screaming ouch is a good one, loud like a dog yelping though is very affective.
    The other is pinch the dog over the nose or bite (gently but even so it feels it).
    Watch a wolf pack or how a mumma dog is with her pups.
    Some of you will poopoo this one but it works. You are the alpha dog in your pack, next time your pup/dog snaps/bites tip it on its back & put your hand on its throat dont apply force but enough that the pup stays down & stand over her/him around 15 seconds is enough. At the same time growl at the pup/dog, use the word you would when the pup/dog is doing something wrong, if you use NO then use no & growl it.
    This worked on one of my pups & it also worked on a dog with food aggression.
    You may need to do it over a week, but it should work.

Cad'Bree is now 5mths old..
    Everytime she has bit me, is when I've had get you playing fetch.
    She'll be heading off to obedience training for 3 weeks, at the start of November.
    I'm eager to see how she'll be once the training is completed.
    It's definitely tiring

That's didnt come out right.
    Everytime she has bit me, it's been whilst in holding her toys playing fetch

Nessa is offline Junior Member

Love her name, Cad'Bree. Shes still young.
    Okay so its when toys & play is going on. Is she treating you like she would her litter mates & is she being possessive over her toys?
    You could try different toys where she isnt able to get close enough to bite. Maybe dont play fetch until you can be sure she isnt going to bite?

Please dont take this the wrong way, theres no way to word it without it sounding rude.
    Are you involved with the training also? Sounds strange, ive heard of people sending their dogs of for training but they dont have anything to do with it. Train you and your dog, it helps with bonding also

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast