Puppy Chasing/ Not walking

Thread: Puppy Chasing/ Not walking

Jef
    Jef is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy Chasing/ Not walking

Hello Everyone,

I have an 11 week old girl names Isis who is doing all the usually puppy things but she's getting better everyday. But I have 2 questions that I'm just not sure about. Help with either or both would be much appreciated!

1. I know I'm not supposed to chase her (and I haven't had to), but when we play in the yard she likes to chase me around. Is that still a no-no or is that ok for her to chase me around to tire her out? To put it into context sometimes I'll throw a toy and she wont run after it anymore, but if I go jog over to it she'll sometimes chase me and try to beat me to the toy or sometimes not care about the toy at all. Sometimes she just chases me and when I stop she just sits next to me. I just want to make sure we are not playing a game that will cause problems in the future.

2. I have a local ballpark behind my house but its fenced off from the yard, but to get her some more room for playing I like to take her to the park. Problem is she doesn't like to walk down the sidewalk the little bit that it takes to get to the park entrance. She doesn't even like to leave the driveway. You always hear of dogs pulling their owners but I have to pull on her or temp her with a toy the whole way. And the toy doesn't work either. She's fine walking on her leash in the yard or in the house so I don't think that's the issue. She acts kind of like she's scared but her tail is never between her legs. She just wants to sit down and not budge.

Thanks in advance, Jef

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

poopypuppy is offline Senior Member

Not to worry....she is still a baby.

WhiskeySister is offline Junior Member

(1) Unless you are trying to teach, stay, anytime she chases after you and sits next to you, PRAISE HER! Happy Voice! Pats and tummy rubs. It will pay off in the future.

(2) She is probably fearful of going outside her home territory. Try taking treats with you, small ones to tease her into coming along with you. I wouldn't drag her though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justlabradors is offline Administrator

Exactly...just a baby.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I would turn the "chase game" into a lesson on the "come" command. When she starts chasing you, say "Isis, come" ( or here or whatever command you use to call her to you) and then praise her when she gets to you. This will pay off big time in the future.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006