Puppy Issues

Thread: Puppy Issues

DefaultPuppy Issues

Hello all, we just posted some pictures of Tess in the introduction section but I have a few pressing questions about our training. She is 9 weeks and has been home for two weeks

1. Crate training. She does really well at night but during the day she cries and howls. Unfortunatly the landlord is not happy about it and has threatened to write us up. We are moving into our house in June but do you guys have any suggestions for keeping her calm and relaxed. The dog walker comes each morning at 10:30am and I come home at 1:00PM to let her out on my lunch. Lastly we always stuff a kong before I leave for work but she gets bored before I even leave.

2. More Crate. We moved her up a crate size about a week ago and seemed to have no problems however the past two nights she has peed twice in the crate. Should we go back to the smaller crate again?

3. Play biting. She means no harm but she loves to bite everything including us and we tell her no biting each time and say ouch really loud but she seems to think its a game and just tries harder. How do we prevent this?

Thanks for all your help

Glen and Janine

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy Issues

No advice... I don't even have Ender home yet.

Wish your landlord would give you a break since you are moving out anyway. Maybe leave a radio on for her and a chew toy in the crate to keep her occupied?

Is there one room in the apartment that is more insulated than the others? Our condo's master bedroom is right next to a utility room which really buffers the sound for the bedroom of our next door neighbor. (We tested it)

Good luck!
    ~Lindsay

Hello and again Welcome.

First I think you do need to go back to the smaller crate or try to block off the new crate so she has a smaller section to lay down in.* She shouldn't have much room to move around....I think maybe the accidents come when she gets up and moves about.* Also try to "wear her out" before you put her in. She sound like she still has quite abit of energy to burn off.* Have you tried covering her crate with a blanket so it seems like nite time??

As for the biting....labs are notorious for it!* Keep being consistent with the no bite and even "yelp" when she does it.* I got to the point I used a squirt bottle on Beau...I think the water diverted his attention..if only short term.* Don't worry, with time and consistent correction she will out grow much of it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TrappersMom is offline Senior Member

Yep- smaller crate for now. She just needs room to turn around and lay down. You can give her more room when she's able to hold it longer.

About the howling during the day- as Sheila and Ender's Mom said, leave on a radio and try to exercise her a LOT. She should be so tired that she'll sleep til you get home. You can leave a toy in her cate but be sure it isn't one she can destroy and swallow. However, her noise making will probably get better as she gets older.

About the biting- again, what Sheila said. Puppys bite. I always had a toy ready when Trapper decided I was the chew-toy du jour. We had toys on the counters, the tables, all over the floor... And I found a simple "no bite" didn't work with him. It had to be very authoritative.
    Dot in Northern Illinois

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Your pup is still pretty young - are you still taking them out at night or is she peeing while sleeping thru the night?

With the biting always make sure you have something in your hand to use to train them what to chew on. *You can also put your thumb on their tongue and lightly hold it down. *It kind of makes them gag a little and makes biting your hand very unpleasant.

Good luck
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

I get up at 3:00AM to let her out to pee. She usually can hold it until then and Janine gets up at 6:00AM to let her out and feed her

We are going through something similar. Our Gabby is very good at night. What I do, I just play with her a whole lot until she gets pretty tired and she actually puts herself to sleep. A few times of fetch and chasing me around usually gets her going and then she moves on to the toys.

Everytime she tries to bite me, I do say ouch, show her a sad face and walk away. She seems to get that. When we're in the middle of a game, I have one of her toys handy and as soon as she starts chewing on me, I place the toy right on her mouth. If she insists on biting me, I say ouch again and walk away. I asked the same question earlier and people do say it's a stage and that hopefully, eventually, they will snap out of it.

as faras the biteinggoes....my Bo is 8 weeks now. I have had him for a week now. he ALWAYS bites the hand that feeds him.ANY HAND will do. I say real loud...."no bite!"andcontinue to say that as long as he does it...i usually follow that up with "just love" over and over and if he gives a kiss then i praise him a bit....good luck

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

We're still up once or twice a night with CoCo, I'm looking forward to a full nights sleep soon!

I agree with the others... we try to tire CoCo out in the morning, leave the radio on, and dim the lights.* The kongs are great, she doesn't notice us leave, her nose is right in it!* And yes, reduce the size of her crate area.* She shouldn't go more than 3hrs without a potty break at 9 weeks....* We also take up CoCo's water around 7:30pm.* We're lucky though, she usually goes right to sleep when we put her in her crate unless she needs to potty.

As for the biting... I hope it gets better too! We just say OUCH and then give her a chew toy....

Good luck!* I'm going to go look at your pics now!
    ~Jo & CoCo

We have to cover Jack's crate with a blanket or he barks and will carry on when we leave for work I leave on the radio with soft music so he has noise.

When you stuff the kong have you tryed to freeze it so it will last longer - I will put some non fat plain yogurt and some of his food then freeze it overnight and give that with a biscuit before I leave and make sure he was nice and tired.

Hope it all works out for you and your landlord gives you a break.