8 Month Old Lab Jumping on Couch and Bed

Thread: 8 Month Old Lab Jumping on Couch and Bed

crghou is offline Junior Member

Default8 Month Old Lab Jumping on Couch and Bed

Our lab has never been allowed on the furniture and now he has decided he wants to jump up on the couch and bed all the time. What is a good method to get him to stay off the furniture? We have tried coaxing him off with a treat and the "off" command and then when he is down tell him good boy and that has not really stopped anything yet. It is also not just a matter of attention as a lot of the time we are on the floor playing with him and he just will walk away and jumps up on the couch to lay down. He does have a bed which he does not utilize very much and most of the time will just nap on the floor.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

when you are t here to supervise keep a leash on him adn let him drag it (supervise so he does not get tangled). WHen he is on, say off, if he does not move, use the leash to get him off. reward when he is back on teh ground.

ideally you also need to ensure he cannt get on the cocuh when you are not supervising (when you are away from teh house, when you are asleep).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

K2-Kevin is offline Member

Agree with the above... keeping on a leash is key to a lot of training and works for a number of situations. If you can catch your dog before he jumps on your furniture, even better.

My wife (Im not blaming her), but yes, my wife loved having our girl on the couch when she was a little puppy. No matter how many times I said its a bad idea to start that knowing she is going to be 70 lbs in no time at all. Well, at 10 months my wife decides she hates that our mammoth jumps on the couch. LOL

Leash goes on, and within a week she rarely jumps on the couch. For us it was important to catch her before she tried to jump. As soon as I could tell she was about to jump on the couch, I would give her a sound (PSSSSST). Its also important not to pull her off with the leash. Tell her off, begin to tug on her leash (Guiding her off), relax the tension on the leash once she begins to make her move off the furniture, let her make that final move to jump down.

Now just over a year old, she still jumps on the couch once in a great while, but understands the "off" command, and will get down.
    Last edited by K2-Kevin; 09-24-2013 at 09:31 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

crghou is offline Junior Member

Thanks we will give that a try. I can catch him some of the time and give him a pssst but then sometimes he is to quick to act so we will try keeping him on a leash when he is roaming around and we are at home.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I think Labs differ greatly on some of the aspects involved with NOT jumping on couches, chairs, seats and beds.

My first Lab, Bess, was VERY trainable in every aspect EXCEPT NOT jumping up to sit where we'd usually sat.

I'd trained her to do all the common commands and even some uncommon ones, such as turning to her right or
    left multiple times while swimming or running, turning her head to look right or left, following the direction of my
    pointing arm to run whichever way I'd pointed around a cove, or out on a dock, to jump in and swim certain di-
    rections, to go over and pick up a magazine and bring it to me, to go out the Doggy Doors and 100 yds/m. down
    to the street and bring back the paper -- and many, many other things.

But I could NEVER train her to NOT jump up on the couch, or our chairs, or my driver's seat in the car when I'd
    briefly gone into a store. I'd have to physically shove her out of the way with my hip, while often sarcastically
    mumbling to her if she thought she could drive if I gave her the keys.

The ONLY way we found to keep her off the couch or chairs was to distribute wooden chairs over their surfaces
    sufficiently blocking her access to them. (In retrospect, I'm a little surprised that she didn't pull them off with
    her mouth.)

She was very much an alpha dog in some ways -- e.g., when she thought it was time for her supper and it had not
    yet arrived, she picked up her ss food bowl in her jaws and threw it, continually banging it all over the kitchen floor
    until her food did appear in it. And when her water jug was no longer supplying water to its bowl below, she'd bark
    at it until it did.

In retrospect, especially after my experience with Puff (definitely NOT with any alpha characteristics), I'm of the
    opinion that much of the problem with Bess was that whenever the Alpha in her life left her area, she was next in
    command and was going to take over that position, that seat of power.

From my reading many studies of wild dogs and wolves (& other similar group animals), this is a fairly common
    behavior among near-alpha group members.

Puff initially tried to occupy places in which I'd sat when I left the house but, with very little training, has ALWAYS
    stayed down and NEVER once in 12 years has she tried to violate those house rules.

So --- while more often training will be sufficient, don't rule out making it physically impossible if necessary and
    it's that important to you.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

x
    Last edited by Bob Pr.; 09-24-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: delete duplicate
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748