Puppy Poo Problems
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Poo Problems

rbryant is offline Member

DefaultPuppy Poo Problems

Hi guys, we are at week 4 with our soon to be 12 week old Yellow lab, Daisy. She has taken well to the crate, and is almost there with the potty training. She goes to the door and will sometime scratch. If we are a few steps slow, she will pee, but this is so MUCH better than the first week, when it was non stop potty time and cleaning up hardwood floors.
    Here's a problem I'm running into-very soft poop. It's not brown water diarrhea, but the stools are barely formed. I have taken her to the vet, and the stool was completely normal. He did put her on Flagyl, and things did clear up. although I think they were beginning to clear up prior to antibiotics. Somewhat soft poo I can deal with, the problem is she's having the occasional accident in her crate during the night. We are currently feeding her Purina Puppy chow and she gets 3X meals at 6 AM, Noon and finally around 6 PM.
    Anything we can do to bulk the stool up? Do I need to feed dinner earlier to allow more time for stool to transit through before bedtime?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

I always mix in pure pumpkin from a can when Jack gets a little loose. It helps quite a bit in my experience. However, if this is an ongoing issue and not a random, rare occurrence, you may want to evaluate what food is being fed. Some foods, although quality, don't work well with all dogs. I had that experience with a few. They are either too rich or simply don't work as good.

What foods do you guys recommend?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

If you are currently feeding a Purina product why not change to Pro Plan? I believe the Pro Plan Focus is what most recommend. Puppy chow is an inferior food, not one I would feed my dog.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I agree with Tammy re the Puppy Chow, it is one of Purina's worst foods but on the market because it has an affordable price point. Did you get her from a breeder? If so, is that what the breeder was feeding? I'd wean her onto a better food, try Purina ProPlan. It is still affordable, but higher quality.

A little pumpkin would also help out, just make sure it is pure pumpkin, not the pie filling junk.

Thanks all. We are really at the breaking point. As I've said, everything with Daisy has been good, she's been doing well with housebreaking and the crate. I have put off training with food treats, because I have no idea what's causing this. Last night was horrid. She was up every 2 hours wanting to go outside. Of course, we missed a time and we were rewarded with a smelly soft pile in her crate. So, off to the bathtub at 3 AM., and another disinfecting of the crate. We can't keep getting up all hours of the night to bath and clean crates. Our vet apparently has no clue regarding dog nutrition, as he still recommends Purina puppy chow, which I've gathered from reading multiple forums, is a nightmare product to feed puppies. Still, there are no guarantees that switching to a higher grade food will yield results, and I'm not sure if we can handle slowly introducing who knows how many types of food in order to correct this.
    As I finished typing this, we had yet another bm, but it was scant and mucusy. This is really frustrating and demoralizing......

I am so sorry you are having such a tough time. First off -- vets are not schooled in nutrition! Your vet recommending Puppy Chow confirms that!

No, you do not want to jump on the food wagon by changing foods several times. Purina ProPlan is an improvement at a reasonable price which may work for you. Since she is having such a hard time with the current food, you could wean her a little faster than normal, but because she is still a puppy with such an upset system I would still recommend slightly weaning her to avoid an abrupt change.

Whatever food you go with you will have to allow at least 1-2 weeks for her body to adjust to the new food to see any difference. Just give her the kibble. No treats (unless you use the kibble as treats), and do not add anything to the new kibble - not even pumpkin. Isolate what you are giving her to figure out what helps/makes it worse. You won't know if the new food helps if you add anything else.

Make sure she is getting enough water, diarrhea causes major dehydration and she is still a puppy. Put some water into her food dish with the kibble to ensure she stays hydrated - don't soak it, just enough to lift it.

And if you can get another vet, I would.

Thank you Diesel Dawg, really appreciate your help. Today I have started weaning her off Purina Puppy chow and I'm beginning Taste of the Wild Pacific Salmon puppy food (dry kibbles). I gave her roughly 3/4 cup of the Purina and added 1/4 or so of TOFTW kibble. For good measure, I picked up some canned pumpkin this afternoon and gave her a spoonful with lunch. So far, she loves the new food and, judging by mostly great reviews of Taste of the Wild, I can't wait until we have her fully weaned off Purina.

I just don't understand why she's having a rough time at night. You would think at night, her metabolism and
    GI motility would be slower. I would expect several trips to the yard during the day, but not at night.

labby is offline Senior Member

Got into this late, but I would have recommended ProPlan puppy. It delivers great stools. I hope the TOTW isn't too rich for her. Good luck.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Got into this late, but I would have recommended ProPlan puppy. It delivers great stools. I hope the TOTW isn't too rich for her. Good luck.
    Agreed! TOTW may not have been the best choice. I understand you don't like the Puppy Chow, but just because ProPlan is also made by Purina doesn't mean it is a bad food. They have scales of quality at Purina, quality goes down when the price goes down (Puppy Chow). ProPlan is a good food and she may have done quite well on it. I hope TOTW works out for her, but again you should skip the pumpkin for now - otherwise you will not know what is helping, the pumpkin or the new food. Pure pumpkin can become an expensive additive, not to mention creating a diva diner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast