Wireless fence?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless fence?

LuvMyGirls is offline Junior Member

DefaultWireless fence?

My girls (presently 9 months old) are turning into escape artists. They seem to think my neighbors yards on either side, are better than their own. I've tried to block all their escape routes, only to find they create new ones. My husband want to get Zap collars for them but I've been hesitant. Well, today the mail man informed me that Thelma & Louise were bolting down the street towards a busy intersection. Scared me to death. Now I feel like I've got no other choice but to give in to the collars. Does anyone have any experience with these or have a recomendation on which system is preferable?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Wireless fence?

I think you need to ask yourself a few questions first.

Why are your girls outside unsupervised? And how long are they unsupervised? Dogs that are under exercised and bored look for fun things to do. It kind of sounds like this is your issue. Give them more exercise and then crate them inside when you are gone or can't supervise them.

If you are refering to an invisible fence, a dog that wants to get out bad enough will cross the barrier. This won't necessarily work if you haven't worked hard enough on my first thought.

If you asre refering to a shock collar, it's clear that these guys have no recall and need to be trained better before you go to that route.

I'd recommend a training class...supervision of them while outside or crated inside while you are gone or unable to supervise.

Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

LuvMyGirls is offline Junior Member

Thanks Dani. You're probably right. I think a training class would help me alot. I've been doing the best I can, but with two of them, I get a little overwhelmed at times. Please don't think I'm an irresponsible owner, just inexperienced. I will do whatever it takes. Is there a class you could recommend in the Detroit area?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My dog is in e-collar training and it has been WONDERFUL. We've tried a few different devices like the gentle leader with little or no success. I'm not saying these devices don't work, but I am saying we had trouble transferring the actions on the leader to situations without it. Also, we found the leader gave an impression that our dog was out of control to strangers. Outside the point...

I had Allie trained on the e-collar in under 2 days when it came to the boundaries of the yard. Shannon and I would practice situations where we left the yard without her to see if she would break the boundaries. We didn't use max force with the collar, and we NEVER have, but she responded quickly.

If she left the yard, we would nick (none continuous jolts) her several times (tick, tick, tick, tick) until she returned to the boundaries, obviously the first day, we had to show her how to make the nicks stop by calling her back to the yard. It quickly picked up. A nick is not painful; it is more of an annoyance that they want stopped. Like the zipping sound of a choke chain, they donít like it.

Since your dogs think the grass is greener on the other side, you will probably deal with this situation for a longer period. You need to be VERY consistent, because they will test the boundaries for a few days after you've made them away of the boundaries. Make your boundaries VERY clear. We use our curb and two land marks on each side for the front yard, Iím guessing you have a fence that would be the boundaries for the back yard.

You really need to kill the digging issue in your back yard. Try the poop in the hole idea, it works. You can nick for digging to, but once again, it takes a lot of watching to catch them.

I wouldn't do a wireless fence unless you knew you didn't have time to watch them and break the action. I don't have one, and wont need one. Once the behavior is no more, you wonít need the fence, you might decide to use the e-collar for other activities.

Also, the nice collars ($150+) are very very small and have several functions like: vibrating page, nick, and continuous. Also mine has a 1 - 100 level and a half mile radius. Allie might not be able to hear me, but I can give her a level 1 nick and she will come looking for me knowing Iím looking for her. If Iím inside and sheís out back in our yard, this works well.

Be prepared, there will be several people who will appose my position, Iíve been down this road many times. Many hunting people use them as well for off leash activities. :

In any case, training classes to teach you how to properly use the collar are a good decision. Our trainer monitors our activities very closely.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Oh, I don't think you are irresponsible, I just was helping you along the way. I don't agree with ecollars...I think you need to explore ALL other options before you get to this point...because if used incorrectly, they can break a dog. I think that people want quick fixes and don't have the patience to work with a dog in the normal way and go to the collar because they are no longer fond of the anticts of a dog but don't take the responsibility that they behave as we allow them to.

Two dogs the same age are handfuls. I feel for you. Does your SU help out with training? It'd be nice to have one of you take one girl and the other take the other and do one on one training in separate locations and every other day switch...plus the exercising....it's a must.

I am not too familiar with Detroit, but I am sure there are plenty of Kennel Clubs that offer training classes year around. I'd start there.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I personally am not a big fan of shock collars. But, recently I have had the chance to see an invisable fence in action with a friends yellow lab who is a year and a half old.

What I saw will stay with me forever. This dog knew his boundry VERY well, and even though my young daughter threw his toy well out of the fence boundry, he ran to the line and refused to cross it to retrieve this toy. He stodd there, bouncing on his front feet hoping that they toy would just come back to him or something. LOL I sent my daughter to get it for him and they played like this for nearly an hour. Everyonce in awhile the toy would cross the line, but the dog stayed put. I have never before seen anything that would keep a lab from retrieving, but this dog was very respectful of his boundry. It was amazing. It made me a believer in the invisi-fence.

Good luck though in whatever direction you go with this. Either way, consistant training is required for anything to be successful.

It depends on the dog. For every "I love invisable fences" story I've heard, I've also heard a "My dog was hit by a car. I don't understand because we have an invisable fence" story. Personally, I don't like them because they don't stop anything from getting into your yard. Is an actual fence a possibility?

Where are you in the detroit area? There are a number of good obedience schools in the area.

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

I will share my friends story with you...

My friend has 2 littermates who are lab/husky/collie mixes (gorgeous boys!!). She lived in a rural area, so a fence would look inapropriate... fencing their yard off from the fields surrounding them... Anyhow, they went the invisible fence route.

It DID work.... for a while! Eventually the boys figured out that if they ran quick enough, the shock wasn't too bad... except then they didn't want to RETURN to the yard and suffer it again.

Then one day the escape artists decided the best thing to do was to destroy the collar.... so they actually chewed them off one another!!! HOW they communicated this, I'll never know, but I have to give them kudos for figuring it out!

Anyhow, nothing horrible happened to them, like I said they were in a rural area and they would stick close to home.

However, I can see how an invisible fence would be less likely to work with TWO dogs than one... they tend to work off one another when figuring out their escape routes, as you probably already know!

Do you currently have a fence, which they are escaping from? Perhaps you can make them a dog run??

Good luck!!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Hey! I have 2 littermates. Our girls use the invisible fence. We LOVE it! It works great. They are a little over 7 months old. We live on 6 acres... so a traditional fence was out of the question. You can purchase the Pet Safe brand at most stores (our Wal-Mart even has one). The fence system comes with a great video that shows you the steps to training. At 9 monts of age, they will learn very quickly. It only takes one zap and they realize what is going on. I don't have any horror stories to share with the fence. I have a couple friends that use it also - and they have had nothing but good luck. I think it would be a wise choice.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Friend of mine decided to use one on her two dogs for when she was visiting her parents' acreage. She rushed the training, and one of the dogs absolutely, categorically refuses to go into the yard now. Terrified to the point of defecating if forced.

I can't stress this enough, if you do go this route, GET EXPERT HELP. You can really, really mess up your dog's temperament/personality if you make a mistake.

Personally, there are any number of other options I would choose before I would shock my dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast