Place Command

Thread: Place Command

DefaultPlace Command

Does anyone have good advice on how to teach the place command? I want to be able to tell my dog place, point to that place and have her sit until I release her.

Thanks,

Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Place Command

No advice here but....I just started using "place" to make him come and sit by my left leg. He got it real quick.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Well, you would train her like you would with any other command.

I'd suggest using a mat or a pillow so she can associate the two. Bring her to the "place" have her go into a down stay and say " (name of dog) PLACE"....

release and then say, "(name of dog) good place" And then keep exending the period of time that you release her.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

Basically what Dani said, we used her bed and kept saying "place" and touching the bed, called her over with treats at first and made her "down" and said "good place" Until she realized to go on her own when I said "go to place." It is a great idea to teach this. At first I thought I would never use it but I use it constantly!!!!

We have bed and crate down really well. Im trying to create a place on the fly. I want to beable to tell her place and point and she understands to sit and stay where I pointed.

In my training class we had several owners using the command successfully, but I did not get the chance to ask them how they trained for that.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

We're doing what Dani said, but with a small fleece mat that I got from the pet store. I say "Frankie, go to your mat". I put the mat in several different spots, throw a cookie on it, then say "Frankie, go to your mat". Then I make him do a down / stay when he's on the mat.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Place is a very powerful & useful command. I use place a lot. I send Murray to his place when people come to the door, when we are eating dinner, when we are waiting for our turn or walking a course for agility training, etc.

It's best to teach place using a well defined, raised spot first. I use a tot cot but you could make a raised bed by using a piece of plywood with 2x4s underneath.

With the dog on a leash, I heeled him over and around the tot cot until he was comfortable with it (their instinct is to avoid stepping on it). Then I heeled him over it and said "place" while stopping. Do this several times. Next, while he was on the place I slowly walked around the cot edge (very close by) so I could immediately put him back on it and said "place" each time. Gradually I added a little distance on my walk around always being quick to step in and get the dog back on the place.

When the dog was grasping the concept of place, I would heel the dog towards the place and when I was within a couple of steps, I would send him by saying "place" and taking a step toward the place to get him moving. Help the dog as much as needed. Moving away from you is a very difficult concept for a dog to learn. Start sending him from further and further away. Call him from the place and resend him.

I gradually added time spent on the place as well as distance for the send and the walk around.

Using a raised place makes it very clear where the dog is supposed to go and whether he is on or off the place. I do not tell my dog to stay. Stay means stay in the exact position that I left you in which is not my intent with the place. Place is an area. He can sit, lay down, or stand as long as he doesn't step off the place. Once the "place" command is very clear to the dog, you can use other things for a place but don't start this too soon or you will have a dog that thinks everything is his place (oh a rug, oh look a chair, I'll go there instead, oh a bed...you get the idea).

My trainer uses everything from an overturned garbage can to a frisbee for her dog's place. You can even use the place command to keep a dog from crossing a street. The curb becomes the edge of the place. This is very advanced though.

rottnlabs, excellent explaination! Thank you, I think I will start building a raised box to use. My trainer was having us place the dogs on picnic benches and short park wall dividers. Now I see what she was trying to create with having to bring the actual boxes.

Good stuff!