Crate help?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate help?

Ramonaparie is offline Member

DefaultCrate help?

Another post from me, sorry. But I'm really just trying to have all the info I need to do what's best for Cad'Bree our 15 week old puppy.
    I've never used a crate for any previous dog, but I'm really considering it for Cad'Bree so here are the questions I have

1. Is it ok to still get her a crate a 15 weeks? Considering I haven't had one from the beginning?
    2. I have a blocked off section on our decking which totally secure and undercover with nothing she can get in too and destroy or worse her get hurt, is it ok to have the door open for her out there while we aren't home?
    3. Do I give her meals inside the crate? And leave water in there?
    4. Because we have a big problem with her mouthing and nipping, is it ok to put her in there when her behavior is unacceptable and needs to calm done?
    Or is that creating a negative place for her?
    5. How can I entice her to like the crate? And make it a positive place for her?
    We were considering getting a kennel for her eventually but now I'm thinking the crate is the way to go.

Thank youimage.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Absolutely you can get her a crate now! You need to make it a fun, secure place. Feed her in it, randomly throw really yummy treats in there for her. Google crate games and play them with her. I don't understand the area on your deck to answer about the door being open when you are not there. (Sorry I am confused!)
    I fed Maxx in his crate when we first brought him home to make a positive association. (He is very food motivated.) I never left water in the crate.
    I did use the crate for time outs when Maxx would get wound up and would not settle. He was usually over tired and would fall asleep very quickly. It did not negatively affect him at all.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 09-15-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: spelling
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Sorry I should I have wrote that part clearer..
    I think because of decking is secure there really is no need to lock her in there when we go out., just leave the door open so she can come and goes as she pleases.
    What about if she start barking and whining do we ignore her?
    And let her out when she's quiet?
    I think with a crate il have more control of how rough she gets with the kids
    At the moment they play in the backyard with her and once she starts getting too riled up we leave the yard and thAt ends the play not only for her but the kids too. But atleast this way she can be confined till she calms and them I can let her out again

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Definitely ignore if she barks or whines. Only open the door when she is quiet. I think the crate will help you a lot. She will also not feel as isolated as the crate is inside, near her people.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

labchris is offline Senior Member

Do not use the crate as punishment, though. Like if he poops on your carpet, do not put him the crate because of this. It helped my (adult) dog to create a positive environment by putting the crate into the bedroom. It is also helpful to use some treats and show the dog that you can close and open the crate. What I did once is, I put him in the crate and left for a few minutes (went to a different room). Then came back and let him out and gave him a treat. I think this shows him that you always come back.

Think about the barking as a yelling of getting your attention. If you give your dog attention when he barks, you give your dog a tool of getting your attention back. This is called reinforcment. Make sure, however, that it is not a painful barking.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

That's definitely what I don't want to do, she hasn't had an accident in house for over a week now. And even when has piddled we don't fuss about it, I take her to where she should go. And I just clean it up. I never scold her for accidents.
    Il do the treat thing and try a few crate games..
    What about when she nips the kids? She I growl no at her and them put her in? Or should I just calmly place her in there?

arlinevg is offline Member

Red faceIt gets better!

Cad'Bree is an adorable puppy, but I understand all your posts and expressed concerns. It sounds like you are working hard at integrating Cad'Bree into your family. It's difficult to have young children with a puppy too, you now have three children! However, I would highly recommend a session with a GOOD dog/puppy trainer, in addition to the puppy class you said you are enrolled in. With our first lab we did the puppy classes, but also had a few sessions with an excellent dog/puppy trainer that also trained labradors at Guide Dogs for the Blind (headquarters is in our town). She helped us correct some of Bailey's not-so-pleasant behaviors in the very first session with her. One thing she taught Bailey (now 9 years old) was to grab a "woobie" when the doorbell rang. This was because Bailey was so mouthy and got so excited when people would come over. Bailey just couldn't contain her excitement and had been in the habit of grabbing people's hands with her mouth as they entered the house. Not really biting anyone, it was just an excitement thing, but it could hurt b/c she would do it in a very excitable state. Now we keep a basket with "woobies", aka plush toys, right by the door and she religiously picks one up as soon as she knows we're going to open the door to company. It worked like a charm. She couldn't nip b/c she had the woobie in her mouth. I see that you got some advice on squeezing her snout when she is nipping......I'm not a big fan of making my dogs whimper from something I do to correct them, so I try to reward the behavior I want as much as possible. For me, that's worked wonders, along with a session or two with a private trainer to work one on one with your pup and your family! Good luck.

Thanks, I think she's pretty cute I actually had a wonderful day with her today, went done to the beach and had some lunch, it was so funny she isnt very affectionate, bit in the car she just wanted to lay her heaf on my lap..and down there a lady was a trainer and she had 3 Labs with her. She gave me her card, I might test her out.
    In definitely trying my hardest to make her a great dog for our family and a well balanced one too..
    We purchased a crate today!!!yay
    And she took to it with no hesitation, she went in without any coaxing, and had been a sleep for almost 3hrs!
    I only closed the door once on her, and she couldn't have cared less. Turned around and got comfy.
    I've taken a step back from holding her snot it made her more Argo towards me, so now it'll be more of "u bite ur in time out"
    I also discovered today that she wants me to chase her! She loves it! She pounces around its hilarious to watch.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Don't be sorry for asking questions.

Sounds like she is happy with the crate. I would keep making it a happy place. Mine love theirs as their own time out place. I think it would be good to try out the trainer. They can see you and the dog together so will be able to give you some good advice.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Yay for the success with the crate, that is awesome! You have to do what works for you and your puppy sometimes it is trial and error. I am so glad you had a positive day, they will become more and more frequent and soon you will wonder where that mouthy little puppy went. Enjoy your success!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast