How to stop the "running off"?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to stop the "running off"?

labchris is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow to stop the "running off"?

Last edited by labchris; 09-16-2013 at 01:00 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If you don't have reliable recall, he should not be off-leash in a place that is not enclosed. Search for "recall" on the board - there is a lot of info available.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I have a reliable recall that works very well. However, there is just this one quirk that I would like to fix.

It is not just a "recall" issue per se, thus it does not help to look up the "recall" on the forum.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

You just need to work on his recall, maybe a refresher course. I will say that who ever had Smiley before you must have spent a good deal of time working with him, he sounds very well behaved. It really makes you wonder what happened to his original family. It is wonderful that the 2 of you found each other and work together so well!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

nicole is offline Senior Member

Taking a newly rescued dog to an unfenced area and allowing them off leash is irresponsible. Most rescues actually have a clause in their contract keeping you from doing just that.

Take an obedience class.

Quote Originally Posted by nicole View Post
    Taking a newly rescued dog to an unfenced area and allowing them off leash is irresponsible. Most rescues actually have a clause in their contract keeping you from doing just that.

Take an obedience class.
    I am glad that you know how my dog behaves, how he is off-leash in a fenced area, how he behaves in the non-fenced area, and that you know how my dog is at all.

Actually, I should have never asked for advice because all the people here ALWAYS seem to KNOW EVERYTHING about EVERY situation.

I know you just want to help me, but this is not helping me at all.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labchris View Post
    I have a reliable recall that works very well. However, there is just this one quirk that I would like to fix.

It is not just a "recall" issue per se, thus it does not help to look up the "recall" on the forum.
    What you describe in your first post in this thread is a recall problem. If you had a reliable recall, he would not be ignoring you to run to another dog. He would 'recall' when you asked him to.

There is plenty of advice about this specific issue if you want to bother to look. There it nothing unique about what you your dog is doing.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Every reply you've gotten was helpful if you understood what issues apply to the quirk you're having.

Review recall... returning after sniffing IS a recall issue, provided you are responsible enough to call him back to you as soon as he takes off, which is what you should be doing when he runs off regardless of reason or distance. Hence his recall is not 100%

Teach "stay" and "leave it" to keep him by you until you feel it is safe to release him.

Obedience class.

Don't unleash a dog that isn't 100% reliable. It's not a case of 2 out of 3 ain't bad, that 3rd time could become a huge regret.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    Review recall... returning after sniffing IS a recall issue, provided you are responsible enough to call him back to you as soon as he takes off, which is what you should be doing when he runs off regardless of reason or distance. Hence his recall is not 100%
    This works very well actually. He stays if I tell him to stay. He also comes back. But sometimes he does not. This is what I wanted to know HOW I can TRY to improve this. I did not ask for if it is ok to let my dog off leash or not, I did not ask what is in my agreement with the rescue and I did not ask for where I should let my dog off or on leash.

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Wow, just wow! You state the dog is unleashed in a non fenced area, runs off to greet unfamiliar dogs, eventually comes back, then become truly defensive when people respond with the advice to develop a reliable recall on a newly acquired rescue dog. Wow.

Take a breath, take a minute and remember items posted on the internet can be difficult to gauge intent, tone and we can only understand the particulars of an incident as you describe. So if there is more to the situation, don't blame us for filling in the blanks as we interpret the event.

Without an absolute rock solid recall, the dog should not be put in the position to fail. That is your responsibility.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast