First heat

Thread: First heat

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

DefaultFirst heat

I know waiting is better for their health but man this stuff is a pain in my rear! She walks around the house with purple and pink dog panties, which is the only funny thing about this whole mess. She is so whiny and needy! I marked everything on the calendar and I think she'll be in the 2nd stage around wed of next week. Please tell me we're going to get through this ok and there are no surprises? How long after this do I wait to get her fixed? You think 1 year of age is good or after the first heat is fine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

To be safe I believe you need to be very careful for one month.

If I had a female I would wait until she was 18 - 24 months old, I would not do it before then. You will get through this and it is better than the puppy land shark phase!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

I'm really worried about stage 2 where they want to get out. I'm going around the yard and checking areas that she could possibly get out. She's only outside to swim and use the bathroom but I just want to be extra careful! At first I thought she had a UTI until I realized what was going on. I was going to catch her morning pee and bring it to the vet and then found out I was just an ignoramus.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She isn't even a year yet so I don't think you are ignorant.
    Make sure you don't take your eyes off of her for one second!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

She'd be on a leash or a supervised tie out for the entire month if she was mine.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labby is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't let her swim while in season. Her cervix is wide open and you're asking for an infection.

Consider her fertile for 4 weeks. I've bred bitches on day 23-24 in the past, after which the "handbook" tells us is out of their fertile range. You can safely spay 1 month after a season, but I would wait a few months at least. I don't know how old your bitch is, but I wouldn't spay until at least a year old.

Laura

nicole is offline Senior Member

How old is your girl?

I count 4wks from the first day I saw blood.... that's when you can let her outside unattended and do "normal" things again. What is she swimming in? I know many people who do let their girls swim in known/clean water while in season without issues, so I think that's a personal call. If I'm not breeding the girl, I will let them swim in my pond... so I kinda ride the fence on that issue I've never had a girl that wanted to escape or run off looking for love while in season so while I DO supervise them, it's not like they're going to go through a window if I turn my back. I find (as you're seeing) that's they're more attached to you, almost clingy... not looking to tunnel out of the house. You can certainly let her run around and play in your yard, supervised of course.

Ideally, you spay in the middle of their cycle so I'd personally wait 2-3mo from when she came in and then spay her.

She is just about to be 8 months old.

Didn't know about the cervix issue. She bled heavily about the 3rd day and other days it's been about a drop total. She's not a huge bleeder, which I read you could have one extreme or the other. If she was heavily bleeding I would not let her swim at all. We have a pool guy and keep the chemicals up on a weekly basis so I wasn't too worried about blood in the pool since I couldn't actively see it. She wasn't even soaking her underwear in a whole day (which comes off at night and when she goes out to use the bathroom), just barely leaving a light stain in them.

It was so funny because on the way home from petsmart after getting her something my husband said "did I just buy my dog underwear?" and shook his head!
    She knows how to take them off but one "leave it" and she never tried again.

Lol, yep he bought his dog panties! My kids used to get the biggest kick out of them. I had a girl that thought she was all that and then some the few times she wore them! She was quite the character, I miss her funny ways.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

My girls never even thought of running off when they were in heat. I don't even remember them really changing personalities.