Saying hello - New puppy just joined family yesterday

Thread: Saying hello - New puppy just joined family yesterday

esknights is offline Junior Member

DefaultSaying hello - New puppy just joined family yesterday

Hi all,

I've been reading this forum for the past week in preparation of picking up Addie, our 8 week old yellow lab. Last night was her first night with us and she did pretty well. Slept in crate after minimal whining at night from 11-4 and then a quick pee outside before sleeping another hour.

Today she has been napping alot as I'm sure is very common (1-2.5 hrs per nap). She will go in her crate if I put a treat in the back. Couple quick questions.

Should all naps be in the crate? She really loves napping on the cooler tile next to her crate. Should I always keep her crate door closed when napping?

Thanks for all the words of wisdom here. My wife and I had dogs growing up, but this is our first time training. I'll be sure to read up on all the threads. There is so much info here, that I think I am probably trying to do too much training with her and should just focus on 1 thing at a time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by esknights View Post

Should all naps be in the crate? She really loves napping on the cooler tile next to her crate. Should I always keep her crate door closed when napping?
    No. She's napping, that's the important thing. I rarely close the door to the crate during the day. As long as she is napping and it's someplace that's out of the way, then IMO leave her be.

Laura

Thanks for the input labby. We can let her nap where she lies. Regarding the crate door, if I don't close it she will definitely walk out before taking a nap. We could maybe try opening it after she has fallen asleep.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome!

Maxx has loved sleeping on tile from the day we brought him home. I only put him in the crate when I could not supervise or he would not settle on his own. His crate door has not been closed since he was 6 months old for sleeping.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thanks a lot Tammy.

Also, am I expecting too much to be able to control her biting at such a young age? Should I just move all items she seems fixated on? I've tried redirection to her toys without much luck.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Lol, the biting can be tiring with a Lab puppy. For the biting of humans it honestly takes one consistent method that everyone uses, every time. There are many suggestions, I like the one Laura, (Labby), suggested to another member about pinching the nose. It is explained in a current thread called "what am I doing wrong?" I believe. With as much puppy experience as she has I really trust her ideas. Many try redirecting with an appropriate toy, holding the muzzle, etc. Just pick one and be consistent. If you find one method is not working after 2 weeks have everyone try another but I have a feeling if you use the nose pinching method you won't be doing it for long. It is enough to get their attention and redirect the unwanted behavior.

For household items definitely puppy proof if you don't want things chewed up and possible vet bills. I got on the floor and removed things that would and could be chewed, secured electrical cords, etc. A puppy will definitely get in to trouble, quickly, if you don't prepare to outsmarts them!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Just read the thread with Laura's recommendation about the nose pinch. We can try that. Should we only use that when biting us or biting anything she shouldn't be?

We currently are keeping her on our bottom floor since that is where our front and back doors are located. She is in a big section with gates preventing her from getting past. It is right next to our back door. We have spent just about all of our time down here with her including sleeping while she is in her crate at night. We basically removed everything from her space except for plenty of toys, her crate, and water.

Ill keep reading all the threads for more tips.

Thanks.