What am I doing wrong?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong?

Ramonaparie is offline Member

DefaultWhat am I doing wrong?

I feel like I'm doing something wrong and not handling Cad'Bree correctly(15 weeks now)..
    She's still very nippy, constantly biting us but mostly when she's in an excited state. I tried some of the things suggested, but it's like anything I do to correct her makes her more excited and she constantly launches back at me.
    So now I'm focusing more in giving her time out when she bites. When will this phase end.?
    Another problem has started. She will bark and bark at the door If we are in side and she's out. To get her to stop I have to completely draw the curtains closed, but I'd like to have it all open and not have her barking at us.

Do you have Any advice on barking?
    I think our neighbors are starting to get very annoyed with us. They use to smile and say hi but now not so much lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

And another thing, she doesn't like to be pat on her head she kind of does a duck and takes a few steps back. Sometimes she'll let me,.

kaykay is offline Senior Member

i wouldnt leave a 15 week old outside alone to much trouble for them to get in to. plus you never no if shes gonna eat something that is bad for her. shes barking because she wants to be inside with her people. shes still just a baby so its gonna take some time on the nipping.
    Kristin

jayson

laika

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She doesn't have full run of the yard she has a cornered off section on our decking so that keeps her away from things. I know she wants to be with us and I would love to have her inside more frequently but within 10mins she's attacking the kids ankles.. So I put out to calm down and I just keep repeating that process.
    And when I put the boys to bed that when she comes in and spends some time with me and my husband, but she never just chills out on her bed. She is on energized batteries the while time until I put her to sleep.

kaykay is offline Senior Member

how much exercise is she getting? both mental and physical.. she should have lots of off leash playtime on a soft surface like grass. mental exercise training.. 5 mins at a time or so. a tired puppy is a good puppy.
    Kristin

jayson

laika

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramonaparie View Post
    And another thing, she doesn't like to be pat on her head she kind of does a duck and takes a few steps back. Sometimes she'll let me,.

This is called hand shyness. Has she been hit by a human hand?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Are you rewarding her when she behaves well? It is more effective to reward what she does right than to punish what she does that you dislike.

How much time daily are you devoting to training her? Have you enrolled in a puppy class? What are you doing to exercise her? (Putting her outside alone does not count at all).

I would never put a 15 week old puppy outside unsupervised. Sooner or later, she is going to entertain herself by chewing up your deck or doing other damage which could result in her injury or you wanting to get rid of her.

She is not going to get past this without a lot of time and attention from you. Isolating the puppy in her crate just postpones the problem and ensures that she will get bigger and still have behaviors you don't like.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

dogmom is offline Senior Member

A tired puppy is a good puppy. Sounds like she is not getting enough exercise. Plus she should be enrolled in an organized obedience class. Good dogs don't just happen, they are trained. She is just a baby and as such, she needs constant supervision and attention. She is no different than a 1 year old human. If you put the time and work into raising her responsibly, you will be rewarded with an amazing family member that will be a fabulous companion to your children.

labby is offline Senior Member

Your separating her the way you are is just causing more issues. What are the kids doing when she gets nippy? Throwing their hands around and screaming? This just causes the puppy to become excited and nip more.

My mom used to do this when she came over to the house. If a dog jumped up she would flail her hands around and yell. Well it only made it worse. I told her to stop what she was doing and give a firm "OFF!" and ignore the animal. It worked.

You cannot allow the puppy to be around the kids unsupervised until this is taken care of. You need to teach this puppy that this behavior is not going to be tolerated and just putting her outside is not going to do it. You might have to tether her to you for awhile so you can make an instant correction. This is what I do. Others might not do it this way and might not like it, but it works for me.

First I give a scruff shake when the puppy nips. It's not a huge shake. You grab puppy by the scruff of the neck and give a quick shake. You growl out a "NO!" and let go. If puppy does it again, then you proceed to give another scruff shake with a growling "NO!" Sound like you mean it. You don't need to say anything else, just a firm "NO!"

If I find the scruff shake doesn't work, I will use a nose squeeze like I am biting the puppy back. It takes correct timing, but I reach in and take the puppy's nose between my index and middle finger and give a squeeze with a firm "NO!" I squeeze hard enough that the puppy is shocked at my actions and stops theirs. Once the biting stops, I let go. I do this to all my puppies once they get teeth and start biting everything in sight. They learn pretty early that they do NOT put their mouths on grandma. I can go out into the pack of puppies and sit down and they don't usually bite or nip me. If one forgets, I give a very slight squeeze to the nose and they remember.

I teach my puppy people the nose squeeze method when they pick up their puppies and most of them follow through with it. Do not allow the children to do it. It has to be timed perfectly and the "NO" has to be low and firm, something most children can't do.

Laura

No Cad'Bree hasn't ever been hit by anyone.. Definitely don't condone hitting any animal.
    She's getting a fair bit if exercise I think. She gets 3 walks a day. One on the beach every morning, where she can enjoy a swim, we live around the corner so we love taking her there. Then she comes with us for a walk up to school when I drop my son off..
    Then she gets one more walk around our streets, at night..
    And I get in the back yard with her and we play fetch for ages. She's even enjoying a game of hide n seek lately.

Should I be doing more then that?

I've tried grabbing her snout and telling her 'no bite', but when I let go she pounces back at me..
    This morning she nipped me so I put her in the laundry to calm down. I don't phase her out for very long at all.
    She's one her 2nd week at puppy school and she loves it!
    We also have her booked in for obedience training come November.
    maybe I should leash her while she interacts with the kids? So I can control her and stop her before something happens.
    When she does jump And nip them, of course they start crying and run or flap their hands. And I know this just excited her way more. My 6 year old handles it pretty well and even before she does something he'll give her a firm 'UhUh!
    But it's hard for my 3 year old to do this.
    I never leave them unsupervised, if they go out side I go too.
    I know now is where the hard work is, I'm trying to focus on the light at the end of the tunnel, and hopefully after her training and alot of following through and being persistent, she'll become a wonderful family dog.
    It's just so hard to enjoy this cute little puppy phase...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast