At my wit's end with this pup! Help!

Thread: At my wit's end with this pup! Help!

bman's mom is offline Member

DefaultAt my wit's end with this pup! Help!

I have a 4 month old male pup who is consistently having accidents in the house. I am home with him most of the day and when I'm not he's crated (only about 2 hrs.). He will go to the door to let me know when he wants to go outside and usually does go pee (I always go with him). Problem is that he will go outside and then come in and pee shortly afterwards, usually on my carpeting. He has never pooped in the house even tho he has had diarrhea when we first got him (breeder sent him home with a nice case of giardia, thanks). This dog is very smart about learning things, he's got come, sit, stay, wait, shake both paws, lie down, heels without a leash all down pat. I just cannot get him to stop peeing in my house. It's not even him sniffing for a spot (I religiously clean up all messes immediately with Nature's Miracle) he just walks and pees. It's like he has no bladder control at all. He has even peed sitting down waiting to be fed. I take him out on a schedule and especially after he's played with my bigger dogs so it's not that he's not getting the opportunity. It seems like he just zones out and forgets. I've even taken urine sample in to vet's to rule out anything medical-nothing. I have never had a dog so hard to housebreak in 38 yrs. of owning and training labs. I'm just about out of patience with this one. Anyone have any suggestions before I give up and send him back?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

are you going outside with him to make sure he pees? a full pee? Do you know for a fact that when you put him outside, he really is doing a full pee? Puppies have short attention spans, once they get outside they can easily get distracted and forgot to potty. You need to stay outside or watch him and make sure he pees (ideally be outside with him and reward/praise when he goes). Given you are still having accidents I would absolutely still go outside with teh puppy each time and praise/reward when he goes.

Accidents are usually human error not the puppy's fault. You just have to pinpiont what the issue is and change your habits/routine. don't blame the puppy. don't threaten to send him back - I get you are frustrated so hopefully those were idle words said simply out of frustration.

When he is having these accidents, where are you? You have a shedule you say but maybe there are times you need to go outside more often, supervise more (if you are working then he should be in the crate or tethered to you so you can see monitor).
    Last edited by Tanya; 09-12-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

Maybe take him out more often....like every 15 minutes for now and then increase the time to 30 etc as he holds it longer. 4 months is not old enough to have a lot of control. He is just a baby.
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Martinmac is offline Junior Member

Keep him the crate for linger periods to learn to hold it longer. Or only let him out to pee periodically.

bett is offline Senior Member

besides taking him out more, i'd take the first specimen of the day to the vet, to be sure nothing is going on, since you say he pees when sitting and walking.

Quote Originally Posted by bett View Post
    besides taking him out more, i'd take the first specimen of the day to the vet, to be sure nothing is going on, since you say he pees when sitting and walking.
    she said she had already but this part gets to me - a healthy dog should not do that. unless it happened once and it was because he had not peed in very long

OP did you talk to the vet about other health possibilities? lack of bladdee control (beyond what is normal for a puppy?)

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Each time you are out with him and you see him peeing outside say in a happy voice "go pee!, go pee!" Keep doing this enough and when you go outside you can often say the phrase and the dog will go pee. Make 100% sure you clean up any pee spots in the house with proper cleaning materials that will mask the scent.

bman's mom is offline Member

Ok, thanks for the replies. Here's what I have so far:

Yes, either my husband or I go outside with pup and make sure he's peeing. He doesn't go out alone. He doesn't go out with the bigger dogs so he doesn't get distracted. We praise and reward his peeing. He's not just doing a little, he's going quite a bit. He just seems to be stuck on a 15-20 min. timeframe regardless of whether or not he's just gone.

When he pees in the house it's as if he's unaware that he's doing it. He will generally walk while he's peeing. His accidents are not associated with a particular place in the house and he's not sniffing around for a place to go.

I have taken in a urine sample. Vets found nothing out of the ordinary.

He has an appt. for next vax this week. I will take another sample and discuss with my vet his behaviour. Since this pup came to us with giardia and has been treated with 3 courses of meds for it between 6 and 9 wks. old, I was concerned about his kidney function. I have never had a pup so hard to housebreak and I've been raising Labs for over 35 yrs.

We are being super-vigilant in his supervision and he is crated when no one's home or when we cannot directly watch him. In all, he's only in his crate for about 2 hrs. during the day and all night. And he doesn't wet in his crate at night. I feel he should be going for longer periods of time between pees during the daytime as he's getting older but it remains the same 15-20 mins. no matter what. Yet he goes from 8:30/9:00 pm until just before 5 am without peeing. Can you understand my frustration now?

Yes, I use Nature's Miracle to immediately clean up his messes. I go through gallons of the stuff.

it really sounds like a physical issue. not a UTI (which is what a urinalysis tests for) but lack of control of his bladder.

Depsy is offline Junior Member

Our pup (11 weeks) had a similar problem in her 8-9 week phase. She keep urinating when she just lay on the ground. I think she honestly didn't realise it was about to happen and she would just be lying there and suddenly - puddle! She seems to have stopped now though, which I think should give you some hope that it isn't a medical issue as she has been given the all-clear by our vet.

There are a couple of things we have done to help train Maggie to go out to the toilet. One is taking her outside after meals, sleep and play sessions (when they get excited they often wee without realising it will happen). At first this even meant physically picking her up because she couldn't hold it even to walk to the back door. Second, when we are with her outside she never comes back in until we have seen that she has gone to the toilet (I understand you already seem to be doing this). Thirdly, and probably most usefully, we instruct her 'go toilet' when we take her out. Now she seems to understand that 'go toilet' means we want her to wee and even if she doesn't need to go, she crouches and does what she can.

The major benefit of this is that she has no bladder control yet and often doesn't even realise she needs to go to the toilet until it is too late so by taking her out and pairing this with teaching her to attempt to urinate on command, we find it is easier to make sure she at least tries when she goes outside.

I wonder, have you been checking how much he is drinking? If he is peeing that much he may be drinking a lot more water than you are expecting. Also, is he your first puppy? I was shocked when I realised just how much wee came out of our little girl as my pom never went as much.

Fun anecdote: our house is on a slant so when she wees it rolls all the way down the floor. So smile next time you are cleaning up after him - it could be worse.