when will the madness end? - feeding question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when will the madness end? - feeding question

amandajean1 is offline Member

Defaultwhen will the madness end? - feeding question

when do puppies generally "grow up" and out of the destructive, stubborn puppy phase? Now that I have moved to my new apartment Maggie has been doing fairly well....fairly.

She has had accidents, but generally far between...and generally my own fault. Now that she (today being the second time) decided to pee on the new couch twice she is no longer allowed on the couch. It was only 7:15 when I was going to the door to take her out she decided she couldn't possibly hold it any longer - even though she normally holds it till 7:45. grrr.

I have stopped giving her food in her crate. I started giving her food outside on the patio so she could enjoy the fresh air. Yesterday, she was so annoyed that she was outside and not with me that she went destructive on me - and chewed off a hunk of wood that was a supporting base. UGH! She didn't touch her food in the 30 minutes she was out there.

So put her up and offered her food again last night at dinner time, 7pm. She barely touched the stuff, she was too busy whining at me.

This morning, she did the same thing. Ignored the food and went at the patio wood, even though her stomach was growling - i woke up at it. So now. she is back in her crate.

What should I do?? Give her food in her crate? Make her wait and continue feeding her in the patio?
    Maggie - August 20, 2009

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Your pup is 4 months old, right?

Regarding destruction, it has really just started. If you can't watch her, she can't be anywhere she can do damage. This may go on for another 6 months, or longer.

Lab that turns down food? Means a trip to the vet to me.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

i think she turned down the food because she was outside in the patio and i was inside, cause she just whined....until she destroyed the patio....then she wined some omre. okay. so ill offer her the food again in the crate...if she eats...then ill know she's just being a brat and if she doesn't...vet.

-- okay so the food was gone within 10 minutes flat. so no problem, just....seperation anxiety. silly puppy. so....I guess I can put her back to feeding in the crate...just in the AM and PM like I have been. *sigh* silly puppy.

so....destruction...for the next 6 months. yay....
    Last edited by amandajean1; 12-19-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: update
    Maggie - August 20, 2009

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Dogs dont reason so she wouldnt have though "oh Ill get her back by wrecking her patio" it was more than likely she wasnt being supervised, if she eats in her crate I can see no reason why she shouldnt be fed there

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf View Post
    Dogs dont reason so she wouldnt have though "oh Ill get her back by wrecking her patio" it was more than likely she wasnt being supervised, if she eats in her crate I can see no reason why she shouldnt be fed there
    I agree. She was being a puppy and keeping herself busy. Just becuase what they do to "pass the time" isn't good for us does not mean they do it in spite or revenge. They are young dogs, they do things to pass time and keep busy.

6mts - and longer. Lots of dogs need to be crated for many years if not their entire life when their humans leave the house. Depends on the dog.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

The very first thing I would do when mine was a small puppy (and even now) is get him out to pee. I am totally amazed that your can wait until 7:45!!! That is a tiny bladder she has, you know.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

i didn't say or mean to imply she was doing it out of spite. although i honestly wouldn't put it past this pup to do something out of spite. but that's just me
    Maggie - August 20, 2009

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Hi there! Yes, puppies need to be supervised at all times when not in their crates. It also sounds like puppy might be a bit bored too.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

6 months..?? Bwahaha!

Casualties from Christmas so far: 2 hand made angels, 1 dog toy.

And this is an almost-three-year-old, who is crated when no one's home. So he managed that destruction while being "supervised".
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

SSinCA is offline Junior Member

I have young labs still so no opinion as to when the destruction stops, but I do think they go in phases. As they learn about new things their curiosity leads to new exploration or destruction depending on your point of view!
    I think the non eating may have been from a change in the routine. Some dogs really need their schedules, others are a little more flexible. If you just moved her environment has changed and then to feed her out of her crate was a little more change than she could handle. I try to keep our morning routine the same everyday: out of their crates by 6, downstairs for potty time while I get coffee, playtime while I try to drink coffee without Riley stealing it, then leashes go on and we're off for our walk, or I get the Kong Wubbas out and we're outside for fetch and swim time, then breakfast and upstairs into crates for a nap while I get ready for work. On the weekend, my little white alarm clock (Boomer) lets me know its after 6 by subtly pawing at his crate door (at 6:05), and Krom barks at me if I sit on the couch too long.. Routine seems to be what they want.
    Stephanie
    My lab boys: Krom (lab mix) 13 years old
    Riley - ivory lab born 12-27-08
    Boomer - white lab, born 4-3-09

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast