escaping only to lay on the front porch???

Thread: escaping only to lay on the front porch???

Duralab!!! is offline Junior Member

Defaultescaping only to lay on the front porch???

Newbie here... I have 2 3yo labs they are sisters that I rescued at 4 weeks old they have been perfect untill recent. My black one now decides to jump over the 5' gate only to lay on the front porch by herself. Her chocolate sister has no interest is escaping, what could possibly cause this behavior? I could understand if she ran off but she doesn't leave the yard that is not fenced... any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Maybe not leaving them outside, unsupervised. If they don't have the opportunity to jump over the fence, they won't. You have been lucky that she has not run off but so many bad things could happen.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

arlinevg is offline Member

Eeeewww, that seems really dangerous. One, she could hurt herself jumping over the 5' gate. Two, she may be laying on the front porch today, but tomorrow someone on a bicycle could go by, or someone with a dog, that could pique her interest and poof........she's no longer just laying quietly out there. Not sure you'll ever get an answer to why she suddenly change her behavior to do this, but that only underscores the fact that she could just as easily change her behavior again to where she does leave the yard. Thank you for rescuing those girls by the way, but I think you need to make some modifications to stop this from happening asap.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Some dogs like their alone time. So although they may be good buds at times a dog needs a place of it's own. Do they each have a crate?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

interesting theory beerfish.

but mostly - you need to find a way to stop the dog from escaping as it is highly highly dangerous. make the fence higher, put fencing below ground if the dog is digging out or stop leaving the dog outside unsupervised. we can all guess on the why's but honestly - we'll never know. only the dog knows.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    interesting theory beerfish.

but mostly - you need to find a way to stop the dog from escaping as it is highly highly dangerous. make the fence higher, put fencing below ground if the dog is digging out or stop leaving the dog outside unsupervised. we can all guess on the why's but honestly - we'll never know. only the dog knows.
    Agreed.

J.R. and June

Depsy is offline Junior Member

I have no grounding for this theory but perhaps she wants to lye on the front porch because she can watch the world go by from there? In any case I think raising the fence is the only solution, unless you want to fence off your front yard as well so she can spend time out there.

bett is offline Senior Member

bring them indoors and keep them safe. you've been very lucky so far.