Weird run?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird run?

Ramonaparie is offline Member

DefaultWeird run?

Our 13week old lab Cad'Bree, is having a few issues, she's very mouthy and nippy, and can get really over excited and be quite aggressive in play constantly nipping at our hands, toes and clothes..
    But I've noticed when she is way too over excited she does this weird run. It's like her bum lowers to the ground and she just zooms like a wild rabbit around the house, like a lunatic, and will pounce at us too.. Do any of your pups do this?
    If so do u give them a time out to calm down?
    I couldn't believe what I was watching tonight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Normal, normal, normal and normal.

That "weird run" is commonly called a butt-tuck and is a sign of a happy puppy. Enjoy it - don't try to suppress it!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Yep! Butt-tucking is so much fun to watch. We always interpreted it as HKs way of saying, 'I'm happy! Let's do something!'
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramonaparie View Post
    Our 13week old lab Cad'Bree, is having a few issues, she's very mouthy and nippy, and can get really over excited and be quite aggressive in play constantly nipping at our hands, toes and clothes..
    But I've noticed when she is way too over excited she does this weird run. It's like her bum lowers to the ground and she just zooms like a wild rabbit around the house, like a lunatic, and will pounce at us too.. Do any of your pups do this?
    If so do u give them a time out to calm down?
    I couldn't believe what I was watching tonight.
    And that's why a lot of people call it the Zoomies. Sign of a happy, healthy, perfectly normal pup and if you are lucky she'll do it all her life. Just after what you thought was a long, tiring outing is often when they do this. I don't like it in the house but outside I stand in a corner of my deck so I can't be knocked over and I encourage it, standing out there yelling,
    Go, ZOOM. Zoom. zoom." Apparently I should have put a path in one section of my perennials, there's one there now. No biting, no pants leg grabbing allowed.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Lol, I love watching the zoomies! There is nothing better than a happy puppy/dog!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

arlinevg is offline Member

Brings joy to my heart too. You can't help but feel good when you see that expression of happiness in your pup. Although, I can definitely understand how if you haven't raised a puppy previously, particularly a lab, how this could be a little startling. We encourage it in our family too. "Go Bailey, Go Bailey" or whoever it is that is in the mood........unfortunately, our nine year old yellow lab, Bailey, doesn't do it as often as she used to, but when she does we LOVE it. She now does this funny thing we call the spin, probably an older more energy conserving form of the younger zooms where she spins in a tight circle and will then sometimes launch into a tuck and scoot, but not always, sometimes it's just the "spin cycle". However, to keep us on our toes, our little Odie (15 weeks) is just starting to do those puppy zooms (aka tuck and scoots). We were calling it "breaking a move" when he was just starting to do these over the weekend in the backyard. For help with the mouthiness, etc., read through those tips on the top of Puppy Advise and Training, I think the thread is called "stickies". There are tons of pearls in there that every new puppy owner should know and use! Even though this is our 3rd lab puppy go round, I still found tons of good ideas, tips, reminders, etc. in that thread.

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to watch the zoomies. Mine have calmed down quite a bit (at 4.5 and 5 years of age), but they get the occasional run abouts and it still makes me oh so happy. Enjoy it while you can.

J.R. and June

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

The zoomies, yes! My 8 month old still does it. When he was younger, he would have the zoomies right before he would pass out to sleep. The shark attacks will eventually stop, with good consistant training. I followed the advice given in this forum with the biting, and he stopped being mouthy at around 4 months. I love the zoomies!
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I have a 7 year old Lab, a 5 year old Lab and a year old toy mix and they all do it. The older Lab does the spinning in place thing (hilarious) and the toy moves at the speed of light while snarling the whole time. Who needs TV?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

My nearly 3 year old does the zoomies still. I encourage it and it makes me laugh hard every time he does it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast