Out of control?

Thread: Out of control?

Ramonaparie is offline Member

DefaultOut of control?

Hi there, my name is Ramona and I have a 13 week old Chocolate Labrador and her name is Cad'Bree..
    From the moment I saw her I just had to have her, she was the quietest little thing when we brought her home. But witching a couple of weeks things started to change.
    Cad'Bree has be one very nippy and and seems to show some signs of aggressive play, she will pretty much grab on to our clothes and pull as hard as she can and growl and bark at us. She'll nip our finger and her teeth are so sharp that she'll break the skin.
    At night she seems to be at her worst, it's like she has a witching hour, she'll do this weird crazy laps through the house and try and hide under the lounges, and then she'll come out attacking, I've tried redirecting her to chew toys, laying her done and getting her to submit( which she never gives in) and now when it becomes too much I put her in time out and basically ignore her and just keep repeating that process.
    She doesn't seem to get as crazy with my husband, but she is really trying to have it over me and my children, and her behavior is really making it hard for my kids and I to enjoy her. It's like having a shark in our yard and we just can't go out there...
    I was hoping there would be some advice for me and my gorgeous menace??is this normal behavior?
    I plan on having her desexed as soon as she can, and then Cad'Bree will be going off to obedience training.
    We start puppy school this week, which I'm looking forward too..
    Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

it's not aggressive behavior, rather spent up, puppy stuff. the running thru the house is called, often, the lab zoomies.
    i suggest you start training, enroll in a class when the shots permit, and dont let the kids get down on her level, as she will think of them as litter mates and all is fair with sibs.
    you didnt say how old your kids are but running away from the little dear will make her crazier and think it's a game. high pitched sounds from the kids also will excite her and think it's paly time. ignoring her , at this stage of the game , i dont think does much for teaching her.
    and spaying her too early isnt going to do anything except make her susceptible to spay incontinence so.....that 's not going to solve any behavior issue.
    puppy school, and being consistent in her training and even having the kids take part in the training, in my opinion, is the way to go.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

If you go to the "Training Tips and Puppy Advice" section of the forum this same question has been answered many times, at least 4 in the past week. You can find lots if valuable information in this area to assist you in dealing with your current issue. This is normal puppy behavior and probably one of the most frequently asked question from new members without previous Lab puppy experience. (Occassionly from those who previously had a puppy and forgot how intense this period of time can be!)

Good luck with your puppy and rest assured this behavior will be nothing more than a memory in a few years if you put the work in to it now. Patience, consistency and more patience are very important." Get enrolled in a puppy socialization class ASAP!

ETA - I just read you intend to spay early. Please also research this, spay/neuter is best done between 18-24 months to avoid crippling joint issues, spay incontinence, etc. Early spay/neuter does nothing to improve behavior issues. It is your job to teach your puppy properly.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 09-01-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Holding down your puppy to get her to "submit" is not a worthwhile thing to do. It can create aggression (this is documented) and is based on disproven and out of date dominance theory research done with wolves many years ago.

She needs to be trained, you need to mentally and physically exercise her. Every single thing you describe is normal, normal, normal.

Please find a puppy class taught by a group that advocates positive training methods. And don't spay her until she has a chance to fully physically develop. Removing the hormones necessary for normal development is not going to affect her behavior even a tiny little bit!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

To be honest I haven't done much research on spaying her, but was told by the vet that she should be done by 6mth old. But il definitely look into that..
    This is the first time I've ever owned a lab, and I purchased a few books online so I can really understand them. I've owned two different dogs in the past I
    A dachshund who was quite docile and just a beautiful little lap dog, and then we had our American staffy and he too was was hard work as a pup, but not as much as her.
    But I'm willing to do what ever it takes to get her to become well balanced dog.
    My boys are 6 and 3 and yep they tend to squeal and run which will excite her more and then it becomes out of control and I have to separate all 3 of them until they calm down. My eldest will be coming to puppy classes with me and Cad'Bree, I think it'll be good for him to go.
    Since her second lot of shots we've been able to take her out alot more, yesterday I took her to the beach twice for a walk and a dip in the ocean and that seemed to wear her down and she slept for a longer amount of time in the afternoon.
    image.jpg

I forgot to add, any advice on Crate training? We don't have one as yet but I'm really thinking of going and getting one for her, but I'm unsure of how to use it. Especially if I put her in there when she's being too nippy and crazed will that make the crate a bad experience for her?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If you want a really good puppy book get Puppy Primer by Patricia McConnell. There is a lot of very questionable puppy training info out there - but this one is excellent. She's a professor at the U of Wisconsin and teaches about animal behavior.

The Puppy Primer: Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D., Brenda Scidmore: 9781891767135: Amazon.com: Books
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Make the crate a positive experience, feed her in it, toss treats and her favorite toys in to it. Google crate games and do some with her. The crate did wonders for Maxx when he got over tired, crazy and mouthy. He was usually asleep within 2 minutes. Maxx is now 2 and goes to his crate, by choice, quite often to nap and to sleep many nights. We haven't closed his crate door at night since he was about 6 months old. We have even found him snoozing in his crate when we have left him home with Emma. It is absolutely his place!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

That's really great, do u still have a kennel outside for him?
    I'm on my way now to go and have a look at crates, is it best to get a crate that'll be big for her now but will grow into it, it get a size appropriate one now and upgrade later when she grows?
    I took her to the beach today and made friends with a lady who had a black lab puppy, and they had so much fun together, we organized another play date tomorrow.
    I loved seeing Cad'Bree so happy and in her elementimage.jpg

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Crates are wonderful and essential. Look up crate games onlien and you will find good youtube videos, specifically those by Ian Dunbar.

I think it is free to sign-up for this site, Dog Star Daily, which has a welth of wonderful information.
    Dog Star Daily
    Once you sign up, search crate training and they have great info

I second the recommendation for the book above. Be careful what books you pick, or read lots of different ones. There are lots of theories on training but some are outdated and promote aggresive techniques. Called "old school" and often forced based training.

At the Dog Star Daily they have two free downloads with great informaiton, pretty sure they cover crate training in detail.
    Last edited by Tanya; 09-02-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky