Leash question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leash question

Bookbabe is offline Junior Member

DefaultLeash question

Eddie, my almost 17-week old black lab, is working his way through the usual puppy issues. One that I'm stumped with is the biting on the leash. Whenever we pick up the leash to walk anywhere, he immediately puts it in his mouth and starts tugging (and often growling). If I try at all to take it away, he just gets ramped up about it.

Things I've tried:

1. Dousing the lead in Tabasco, Sriracha, Irish Spring soap, and old-school Listerine. He seems to enjoy all of those flavors, especially the Sriracha.

2. Pulling up on the lead and saying no

3. Spray bottle (most success with this, but it's not convenient to carry a spray bottle everywhere. He knows when I don't have it, and reacts accordingly).

We've been through one round of puppy class, and we're already signed up for the next class. I'm looking for any other ideas while we're in between classes.
    Eddie 5/6/13
    Missing Trooper 9/28/04-10/10/13

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Try a metal chain leash. Most dogs won't bite a metal chain.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Try a metal chain leash. Most dogs won't bite a metal chain.
    Good suggestion. Another option would be to just drop the leash when he grabs it. It won't be a game if nobody is tugging. For walks, you can put two leashes on him. When he grabs one, drop it and hold the other.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    Good suggestion. Another option would be to just drop the leash when he grabs it. It won't be a game if nobody is tugging. For walks, you can put two leashes on him. When he grabs one, drop it and hold the other.
    I like that idea too!

Ultimately if you train your dog to obey a "LEAVE IT" command (which is essential to your dog's safety) you can use it to make him leave alone the leash too.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

good suggestions above
    IF he is not a puller, one thing some fellow fosters used for their mouthy 6 month old (who loved to grab the leash on walks) is use harnesses that tie in the back. But these boys, by some miracle, were not pullers. These harneses can encourage pulling so only good for good walkers
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

trixie87 is offline Junior Member

I'm having the same problem with my 5 month old puppy. He bites the leash as soon as I try to put it on. We been buying a new leash every month and we refuse to buy a metal leash cause he is a puller and a metal leash would make him look scary; we live in nyc and every other person is afraid of dogs. We taught him the "drop it" command but it doesn't work when it comes to the leash. What do you guys think of rope leash? Has anyone tried rope leash? I heard its durable and will sustain biting for bite a bit
    Milo!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by trixie87 View Post
    I'm having the same problem with my 5 month old puppy. He bites the leash as soon as I try to put it on. We been buying a new leash every month and we refuse to buy a metal leash cause he is a puller and a metal leash would make him look scary; we live in nyc and every other person is afraid of dogs. We taught him the "drop it" command but it doesn't work when it comes to the leash. What do you guys think of rope leash? Has anyone tried rope leash? I heard its durable and will sustain biting for bite a bit
    Have you done any formal training with your puppy? If not I would sign up for a class ASAP and if you have maybe it is time to go back.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Have you done any formal training with your puppy? If not I would sign up for a class ASAP and if you have maybe it is time to go back.
    We been planning to go to petco for the loose leash walking course but haven't come around to do so yet. So far we been only taking advice from friends who are also dog owner's.
    Milo!

Quote Originally Posted by trixie87 View Post
    We been planning to go to petco for the loose leash walking course but haven't come around to do so yet. So far we been only taking advice from friends who are also dog owner's.
    That does not seem to be working for you.

Petco would not be my first choice for a training class. There have to be a plethora of choices for training in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    That does not seem to be working for you.

Petco would not be my first choice for a training class. There have to be a plethora of choices for training in NYC.
    Yep. Most of them own small breeds so I'm guessing that is why they are easier to train?
    Thanks. I will look into plethora!
    Milo!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast