Seem to have regressed on night time potty training
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seem to have regressed on night time potty training

arlinevg is offline Member

DefaultSeem to have regressed on night time potty training

Odie will be 14 weeks old tomorrow. He's been home with us since 8 weeks old. Odie has had very few accidents in the house and when taken out to go potty, he always does. If after a play session out back with our older dog, before returning inside the house and I want to be sure he doesn't have to go again, I tell him to "go potty" and he dutifully does. He definitely knows the drill and where it is that he is supposed to do his toileting. However, it's the night time saga that is still slightly off kilter. I had posted a few weeks before about the night time potty runs and it was improving, he was only getting up once between 4 am and 5 am to pee and pooh. So from around 10:30 pm (bedtime) to 4 am was about 6 hours. This past week he's gotten up earlier, around 3 am and howls to be let out. He immediately pee's and poo's and then goes right back into his crate, no crying, and back to sleep. He'll start to make some noise around 4 am, but I "ssshh" him and say NO and he settles back to sleep. Awake again at 5 am, howling, tried to ssshhh him this morning, but he kept it up, so I thought that perhaps he really had to go. He did a little token piddle and you could tell what this was really about was that he was ready to start his day. I put him back in the crate and he howled for 15", but finally did settle and was quiet until 6:30 am. I'm ok with starting the day anytime after 6 am. I don't feed him first thing in the morning, he goes out and gets fed about 30" after rising (so no immediate food reward for getting up). I'm not so concerned about the waking up at 4 and 5 am b/c we can ignore those as it's clear he doesn't have to go, having pee'd and poo'd at 3 am. What do you think about the 3 am potty run? I'd really like to get back to the 4 or 5 am time, with the hope that it will eventually extend all the way to 6 am. I should also add that we live in a two story house so our family has been taking turns doing "puppy duty" at night on the first floor guest room with him in a crate in that room. He does piddle and poop during the day too. And last night he pooped right before I put him in his crate at 10:45 pm. Water bowl is taken up at 8 pm too!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

personally I think a 14 week old should be able to hold it in until morning. 10:30 until like 6am. He is just used to being able to get up and go by crying. I would try to ignore him. It's going to be hard for sure, but totally ignore him until morning.

how often are you feeding and how often does he poop durring the day? (minus the middle of the night poop). What time do you feed and what time does he poop?

Is he drinking a lot in the evenings (say after 7pm?)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

We feed him btw 6:30 to 7 am and again at 5 pm, but last night b/c of his puppy class I fed him at 4 pm (and he was up at 3 am pooping and pee'ing). Water bowl is taken up by 8 pm. He doesn't usually poop after "breakfast", probably since he pooped somewhere between 3 am and 4 am. He'll probably poop again later this morning, particularly after playing or running around. I haven't counted the poops, but it's at least two or three during the day and early evening. Yesterday, after I fed him at 4 pm, he pooped before we left for the puppy class at 6 pm. Did a poop after we got home from class around 7:30 pm and then pooped again before bed at 10:30 pm. I was thrilled thinking that he'd do great last night and break out of the 3-4 am potty run pattern. It almost seems as if he's saving his poops for 4p to 4 am time frame!

I'm willing to let him cry it out to break the pattern, just want to be sure it's ok to do that given that he seems to consistently poop at that 3-4 am potty run. Maybe what I'll do is sleep upstairs and tonight b/c it's impossible to sleep with his howling and crying.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

it's habit now. his body is USED to going at 3-4am. you n eed to reset his clock. Dogs are routine animals. Breaking a habit/routine is going to take some work and patience (and yes, sleepless nights).

how much are you feeding? sounds like he is pooping often.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Only feed him twice a day, morning around 6:30-7 am and again at 5 pm. I think you're right. We have to reset his poop clock. He just did his first poop at 10 am, since his 3 am poop. This isn't going to work on the days that we have to go to work and he has to either go potty earlier in the am or hold it until I get come home for lunch.

Should we potty him at 11 pm tonight and then into the crate as usual and then just ignore his cries until....6 am?? I suppose we could all sleep upstairs so we don't break down and let him out? What if we do that and he does poop in his crate? Just stay steady the course and eventually he'll get it?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

How much volume of food and what kind of food is he eating? That is an excessive amount of pooping which makes me think he may be eating too much volume or his food has a lot of filler.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I don't think it's that, but I guess I could be wrong. He's only getting 1 1/2 cups of kibble in the am and the pm. It's the Wellness Supermix 5 Large Breed Puppy and I'd be surprised if it contains a lot of filler. It's a pretty high end puppy kibble. He weighs approximately the same as his litter mates do so I doubt he's being overfed. He just had his second daytime poop, so thus far today, not counting his 3 am poop..........he went around 10:00 am (was fed at 6:30 am) and pooped again now after a big nap @ 3:30 pm. He'll probably poop after dinner and again, before he goes to "bed" at 11 pm. That 3 am poop is not just a little thing, it's about the same size as his other stools. That's why I was continuing to get up to let him go then. A couple of times he's gone longer to 4:30-5:30 am, but this last week it seems like his poop clock is set for btw 2:45-3:45 am. If a puppy can hold it, then I can try and ignore him tonight at the 2-4 am call to get him on a better cycle. If I do that, I'm thinking to set an alarm for 5 am for a couple of nights in a row and then to add 15" each 4th night or so until we get to 6 am. What do you think? How many times a day should a puppy poop? Is four times too much?? He does get some treats during the day with training, but even that isn't that much.

Some improvement. My husband took over the puppy night shifts (since I work Wed-Fri and need to be clear headed and not sleep deprived) as he's able to work at home the rest of this week (SF Bay Bridge closed so we're anticipating awful traffic). We ignored his cries and didn't take him out until 5 am, put him back in the crate and ignored any cries again until 6:30 am. Eventually, I'd like to extend the 5 am potty run to 6 am. My husband said he didn't even wake up last night until 5 am, it only took the previous night of ignoring his 3-4 am cries! However, Odie is consistently pee'ing and pooping at 5 am. Certainly better than a 3 am- 4 am potty run, but I'd still like to phase the 5 am out and extend it to 6 am. After his 5 am poop, Odie then poops again around 10 am (after having had breakfast at around 6:30 am) and then maybe two more poops at various times during the day AND last night he pooped at around 8 pm and again at 11:30 pm. Do most puppies not poop that often? I can't remember from our other two dogs. He is now on the Wellness Large Breed puppy kibble, before that he was eating the Taste of the Wild prairie puppy kibble and seemed to be pooping the same amount per 24 hrs. He is definitely not being overfed and his stools aren't runny or abnormal looking.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Hmmm...Todd at that age, always had a morning poop - 6:30am, an after breakfast poop about an hour after, a before dinner poop, and sometimes a before bed poop at 10:30. So that's 4 times per day. Gradually he started going less. He is almost 8 months and he normally poops in the morning and evening only now. Sounds like Odie is on that same schedule. I think what you are doing with extending the time in the morning is what I would certainly have tried, if I were in your shoes. Todd goes to bed around 10:30 and gets up around 6:30 and has done that since he was around 3 months old. He did/does do ALOT of play and activity in the evenings before bed too...maybe that tires him out. Does Odie do alot of activity in the evening? Maybe if not, that would help.?. Good luck to you and hope you get a full nights sleep soon.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

That makes me feel better. And yes, I think he is pretty active. Although he's still not able to go out on walks in our neighborhood (but that will soon change b/c his last set of puppy vaccinations are on Saturday). In the early evening he usually has a pretty big play session with our older lab. She doesn't race around much anymore but they "lab wrestle" and sometimes he'll do some tuck and scoots in the midst of their play. I also take him out back and throw toys around for him to chase in the backyard and that's when he usually does a poop (around 8 pm). Tonight he went upstairs with me while I got ready for bed and was very excited when I used my electric toothbrush! Barking and getting in play pose because he likes the toothbrush sound. Got so excited that he piddled on the doggie bed up there despite having just done the 8 pm pee/poop outside about 10" before. Then back downstairs for some play with Bailey and handling by us, teeth brushed, etc. Now he's sleeping on the doggie bed in the kitchen for the last 30" b/c he just got too tired to play anymore. It's almost 10 pm and I want to go to sleep myself. We try and take him out as late as possible, but tonight it may have to be before 11 pm. We'll see how he does tonight. I'm hoping he's getting it now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast