Need ideas for what to stuff in the Kong
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need ideas for what to stuff in the Kong

arlinevg is offline Member

DefaultNeed ideas for what to stuff in the Kong

As fall approaches and kids go back to school, etc., Odie (almost 14 weeks) will have to be left alone more than he has been thus far (which up until now has only been for very short intervals and he's done fine with those). Because of wanting to keep him from getting bored when left for a couple of hours in his "confinement area/puppy playroom" (aka our kitchen) and to encourage chewing on things he is allowed to chew on, I am following the Sirius puppy training advice about the use of Kongs stuffed with kibble, etc. So far I've mashed up a banana and mixed puppy kibble in with it and stuffed that into the Kong. Another morning I did banana, kibble and some chopped up carrot. Any other good combo's? I haven't introduced peanut butter yet, but will try that soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradory is offline Senior Member

I use carrots and wet food (1/4 cup) to fill the kongs. Also, greek yogurt and blueberries. And freeze them!

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Mine love mashed banana, apple slices and a little bit of yogurt stuffed and frozen, green beans, carrots, peas, kibble, a very small amount of chicken broth, (unsalted) stuffed and frozen. You can use any fruit/vegrable that is safe, depending on what is in season. Mine also love any kind of melon, blueberries, sweet potato, little bits of string cheese, cottage cheese and a small amount of cream cheese, etc. I have also mixed left over meats, vegetables, etc from dinner with kibble. I do subtract any kibble used from their meals. Mine really enjoy when they are frozen and of course they last longer! I usually stuff 4 - 6 at a time and keep them in the freezer so I don't have to worry about them when I have to leave.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 08-25-2013 at 11:59 AM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

arlinevg is offline Member

Great suggestions! I went to puppy class last night and the instructor all gave us a small jar of Gerber baby food (chicken) to use as a high value reward when teaching "come". I thought that was brilliant and am thinking I could use that as well to mix in with the veggies, etc. and then freeze in the Kongs. Thank you.

I'm going to post a new thread b/c I'm back to issues with the potty training so if you have any pearls, please feel free to comment there as well.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Todd's favorite "stuffing" is plain yogurt, peanut butter, some dog kibble and two mini carrots thrown in. Frozen. I used the peanut butter to cap the ends and stuck it in the freezer.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

Tanya is offline Senior Member

why not crate him for a few hours? A puppy should be quite content in a crate for a few hours and there is less potential for them injuring themselves or chewing. No matter how wonderful a kong is, it likely will only keep them busy for a half hour. Beyond that they will either sleep or get into trouble most likely. Most dogs, there are expections and maybe yours is an exeption.

what is the longest you have left in him the kitchen so far?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

abbydickson is offline Junior Member

Defaultnew pup- kong toy

Hi All, my brand new 9 month old girl Abby is being left at home for 4 hours today while im at work- until my lunch hour.... she is wonderful and does not go in her crate. We have a very small baby kong.. and no idea what to put in it-- only human food she has had so far is carrotts.. and she likes them.. so suggestions for a pup who has had no yogurt, banana etc yet.-- to put inside the kong. Also, should i be putting her water dish in her crate when she's alone for 4 hours?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Labradory is offline Senior Member

Peanut butter will make that kong the best thing ever!

I used to put a few ice cubes in a metal dish in the crate, so they could have some water but not enough to make a mess or have to go out.
    Last edited by Labradory; 09-03-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Labradory View Post
    Peanut butter will make that kong the best thing ever!

I used to put a few ice cubes in a metal dish in the crate, so they could have some water but not enough to make a mess or have to go out.
    If she has never had peanut butter before I would be very careful about the amount you use. Smearing a very small amount on the inside with a portion of her kibble and some carrots would work until you are able to introduce her to different veggies and fruits. I like the baby food meat idea to mix with a little kibble and veggies. As long as ice cubes are not a "toy" to her leaving a few in a dish is a great idea if using peanut butter but anything else in the kong - she should be fine unless it is hot in your house. Many puppies will use water in a dish to make a mess, it is hard enough to keep that from happening when you are home.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

abbydickson is offline Junior Member

Thank you all so much for your help. i am going to try a bit of peanut butter with her tonight. We took her to the vet last night for her second round of shots and asked the vet at what point we could introduce her to other dogs-- we were told by a variety of other people that it was after the vaccinations-- he said wait until the 3rd vaccinations which is another month! Maybe he is just playing is EXTREMELY safe? I want to have her socialized... does everything think after 2 shots its ok?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast